Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Does breastfeeding hurt?

I'm a young woman who's gonna be a momma soon, and I know that usually breastfeeding is beneficial for the baby, but how does it feel for us?

Re: Does breastfeeding hurt?

• Options
    It can definitely be painful, but it's worth it. Most pain comes from latching issues, so just make sure that you know a lot about breastfeeding before baby comes. I was very naive, and thought breastfeeding would just come naturally. It didn't. By my 3rd child, I had it down, but it was tough. If you're determined to do it though, you'll find a way and make it work. It's such an amazing experience to bond with your child through nursing. I loved that it was so exclusive, and it was the only thing that only I was able to do for my child. No one else :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! Seriously see a lactation consultant asap in the hospital that will get you on a good start and minimize any pain.the better latch you have from the start the less pain.
  • Options
    There are so many resources that say "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong"... So I was panicking. My doctor assured me that pain is normal... And sometimes it hurts! I found that it hurt more early on, and now at 9 weeks it's fine.
  • Options
    In the beginning, it does hurt. Nipples are sensitive. Things like a tongue tie or a shallow latch can make it worse. I attended a breastfeeding support group led by a certified LC, and got help for DS' latch, and the pain eased very quickly. 
  • Options
    NhbabyNhbaby member
    With my 1st the first 4-5 weeks were painful. We didn't have a good latch. Once I figured out my LO was a "lazy latcher" things started to improve. Now 3 weeks post partum w my 2nd there has been no pain at all. This baby has a natural wide & perfect latch and it's pure bliss!! Thus, echoing above: see a lactation consultant, try a nipple shield and don't give up!!!
  • Options
    A little pain is normal. My LO had a pretty severe lip and tongue tie which caused toe-curling pain each time. If you have something like this get the LO looked at for ties. My son had his revised and we can nurse now with a lot less pain.
  • Options
    In the beginning it hurted me but after few days I felt comfortable. I used to try with different positions and finally found the best position so that it is comfortable for me and my baby. Baby need to latch on properly to avoid discomfort and pain.
  • Options
    So far for me, yes... Your baby has to "latch properly". If they don't you can rub the skin on your nipple raw.
    My nipples both bled after the first few times. My nurse gave me these gel covers to help heal them.
    I'm still trying though! My son is only 3 days old, and they told me that if we don't keep trying to breastfeed and pp to stimulate the milk production, it will take a long time to come in.
    I just look past the pain when I look into my beautiful baby's eyes. I would do anything for my little man!
  • Options
    I was fortunate that my LO was able to latch within an hour of birth. I never experienced any pain or cracked nipples. I was very concerned that it would be something I might struggle with because I had read that a lot of women find it very painful so I was prepared for the worst. My babe is 2 months tomorrow and we are going strong. It has never caused me pain so just know that it is possible to be pain free but it's also beneficial to expect that it might not be comfortable for you. Everyone is different but it's all worth it! :)
  • Options
    It is painful! Baby was latching properly but all that sucking dried and chapped my nipples causing them to crack. Then my baby eating every 1-2 hours and sucking for up to an hour at a time made it worse! Babies also suck for comfort in the beginning and no pacifiers for 4 weeks just makes it ever more painful for your nipples! Make sure you see a lactation consultant after 5-7 days so you can tell her your concerns, that helped me a lot and by day 10 it didn't hurt anymore! She recommended bacitracin to heal the cracking.
  • Options
    wiwix3wiwix3 member
    It only hurts if your LO is sucking on your nipple wrong and it will blister and dry up too. See a lactation consultant at the hospital to learn! This only happened to me for the first few days, not even a week.

Make sure your LO isn't just on the tip of your nipple! Just sucking on the tip is what hurts and blisters!

They need to suck in about an inch on your nipple. Make sure they're tugging at it basically.

I haven't blistered since nor has it hurt again. It's only been a month but everything is going smoothly! I have been strictly breastfeeding only. I haven't gotten around in getting a breast pump yet.
  • Options
    At almost two weeks, I'm at the point where I have brief pain right at the beginning of a nursing session, and then I'm fine. It was hard at the beginning...get nipple cream and use it right away, before cracking hurts. The other day I gave two pumped bottles to give my boobs a break and that really helped. I feel like I've turned a corner already though and it will be completely painless in no time!
  • Options
    My boobs are really achy and sore. I got engorged one morning because I didn't pump for a long time and then I massaged out the lumps and pumped but boobs are still sore and feel slightly like a burning sensation, irritated feeling. Hoping it isn't mastitis.
  • Options
    From what i was told it obviously depends on you like do u naturally have tender boobs or no and make sure you take care of you moisturizing the nipple would help and start now by playing with your nipples kinda like preparing them for what's in store ya know but definitely see a lactation consultant they are the experts after all but remember you are you what may work for one may not work for you good luck hun
  • Options
    hnc11hnc11 member
    I am a FTM and have been BF for a little over a month. I was petrified to try because of how everyone said it was painful, but to be completely honest from DAY 1 I have never felt any pain or discomfort, in fact other then LO sucking, I don't feel much of anything at all...including when I pump. I dab on Medela Tender Care Lanolin gel after every feeding/pump session so I am not sure if that is why I haven't had any issues yet? Whatever works!