Breastfeeding
Options

4 week baby

Baby just turned 4 weeks today and I'm pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. So I have a question abut baby sleeping at night. Am I still supposed to wake baby up every 2-3 hours to eat or let them sleep and wake up on their own to eat?

Re: 4 week baby

• Options
    That depends on how baby's weight gain is going. If she's gaining enough weight, you should be able to let her sleep longer. I would ask the pediatrician just to be sure.
  • Options
    If your baby is healthy and gaining weight appropriately then you don't have to wake them up at night to feed. My daughter is 4 weeks old and I let her wake me up. She will sleep for 5-6 hours at night but nurses every 1-2 hours during the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How long did it take your supply to adjust to less frequent night feedings? I currently wake up so rngorged if LO sleeps 4-5 hours at night.
  • Options
    I read in the "Baby wise" book that you can let baby sleep the number of hours for the number of weeks old. So if baby is 4 weeks then the max number of hours to let them sleep at one time is 4 hours. And then this continues to increase each week. This worked great for us. I always felt weird waking her when I could tell she would keep sleeping but now she is 10 weeks old and goes down for the night between 8-9 and sleeps till 7-8 the next morning.

I also have a terrible time of getting engorged so I wake up and pump in the middle of the night. I pump right before going to bed then I can manage to go 4 hours before getting uncomfortable so I set an alarm to wake up pump again and then usually 4 more hours later baby is waking up so I get back on her schedule. It's exhausting and I would love to sleep longer but it's so painful and I also have chronic mastitis so I have to stay on top of it.