Working Moms
Options

Daycare closing

We just received a letter from daycare that due to not being able to hire help when the owner goes on maternity, they are closing July 31st.

DS is 2 yrs 10 mths and has been going there 4 days a week since he was 7 weeks. I am 19 weeks pregnant with our second.

One of the girls that work there has offered to watch him in her home as well as the baby when he or she is born in Nov.

She's been at his daycare for about 2 years and watches him some weekends, so we are very comfortable with her.

She is in her early 20s, recently married, and pregnant with her first child, due about 4 weeks after me.

She will be watching him in her home along with a family member's 2 yr old son.

We have discussed what the schedule would be like, pay, and sick days. I will be touring her home in the next month.

I worry about DS going from a structured, social environment to less structure and only 1 other kid to play with but she will be saving us a lot of money and it will be temporary until DS goes to preschool in about a year.

What are some questions I should be asking before we proceed?

Re: Daycare closing

• Options
    I would be more concerned with her watching three kids under two plus your son who will have just turned three. My state has a ratio of three to one in a center for 2 and under and 2 to 1 for under two in a home. I think there is a good reason for the ratios even if she is not licensed.  If she does plan to get her license, my first question would be about the ratios because potentiality her child and the family member could cause you to lose your provider depending on the state ratio law. I would also ask where they will be sleeping, playing etc... her plan for backup care, feelings on illness, will she call you if her child is sick, pets and guns in the home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Are you hoping this is a short term solution for your son who will be going to preschool in another year? Or are you thinking of this as a long-term solution to your new baby on the way. I think you need to answer that question yourself first. 

I would also ask about what kind of curriculum that she would promise to provide your son. I agree with the PP that she will have alot going on---younger kids have more frequent needs like feeding, changing, rocking when they cry etc. Will she have the time to sit down and spend quality time with your son. I know at our daycare they spend two hours every morning doing circle time (singing songs) and then time learning things like letters, counting, shapes etc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This sounded pretty crazy to me until you mentioned its just for a year until your son does to preschool.  Atleast he'll have some familiar faces and not have to be switched twice. However, she will have alot on her hands.  I was home with my daughter, how had just turned 2 for 6 months when I had my son, and it was pretty crazy.  Naps and potty training were next to impossible, although my daughter refused to wear diapers and left me with no choice but to potty train a new 2 year old with a 6 week old.  And after writing that.. maybe this isn't such a great idea lol.  I think you might both have a bit of a naive point of view.  She's never been a mother, you haven't been a mother of 2, and she hasn't watched children all day in a home, which is very different from a completely secure, child-proof daycare.

As far as questions, when will she be available?  If she's thinking of taking only 4 weeks after the baby, your baby will already be about 8 weeks.  How long are you planning on taking off?   Are you ok with keeping you son home with you during that time?  I did, and although I loved it as crazy as it was, I know alot of parents keep their kids in daycare.  Does she have a double stroller?  Will she be able to get the older 2 out much while tending to the needs of the babies?