Health & Exercise
Options

Outraged family members and friends.

I've been an active member of a crossfit style gym for 4 years and took 2 months off as soon as I found out I was pregnant. After extensive research and getting the ok from my Dr, I went back to my normal workouts (with some modification,) at 11 weeks. I was shocked by the outrage and opinions of some of my family and friends. They think I'm being selfish! I wish I never told them.

Anyone else dealing with the backlash of wanting to stay active during pregnancy?

Re: Outraged family members and friends.

• Options
    I will be TTC #2 in a few weeks and will be continuing to go to my CrossFit box as long as I'm physically able. I did CrossFit style workouts on my own my last pregnancy, with a few modifications as per my doctor. I have already spoken to my trainer about my plans to continue, and he is incredibly supportive and knowledgeable on prenatal training. My doctors from last time will be the same so I already know their opinions. Anyone who knows anything about being pregnant know that barring any complications, it is in the best interest of mom and baby to maintain the same activity level (with proper modificationd) while pregnant that you had previously. Don't worry what others think. Your partner and doctors opinions are most important. Follow the docs guidelines and listen to your body. Nothing wrong with being a strong mama!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @imrachellea thank you so much for your support! It's great to hear from someone who did crossfit style workouts while pregnant. Good luck TTC #2!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    3JTMom3JTMom member
    You know your body and it sounds like you are willing to make the modifications necessary as you progress. Do your family and friends trust you? How can you explain to them that you will be appropriate and healthy? Do you think it might be a good idea to just tell your dr about the crossfit and not people who don't understand? Stay healthy mama! You are doing great!
    -notautomatic-
  • Options
    @3JTMom thanks! Yes, I didn't plan on sharing my workout routines with anyone but my dr and husband. After sharing the good new about the pregnancy with family a few close friends, the first thing they asked me about was my plans to quit the gym. It caught me off guard.

Thanks for you encouragement. I'm keeping my lips sealed from now on.
  • Options
    QUIT?! Oh no. Healthy mama is healthy baby. Just let them know you're continuing exercise while under your doctors guidance and care. Leave it at that. And don't worry 'bout them gainz right now lol.
  • Options
    I am glad to see this post as I have just found out I am about 7 weeks and my crossfit gym membership is due to expire next week. I've spoken to my trainers and am going to do 3 month memberships rather than a full year so that I can stop if I need to but I feel it's best to stay healthy and fit when your body is about to go through a process that requires so much strength and endurance, but I am really afraid to tell my in laws for fear of their reaction. Any advice for ways to tell the others that really love the little one in my body that will have the least judgemental response?
  • Options
    Talk with your doctor first. Get their ok, make sure they're on board, then whenever you mention working out also mention that you have discussed it with your doctor and they encourage you to continue your same lifestyle (so long as they do, because complications or high risk can always change that).
  • Options
    @imrachellea thanks for the good advice! I was so excited when my doctor gave the green light. I've gone back cautiously, and find myself needing longer breaks between sets. Precious cargo growing inside trumps gym ego.
    @tabatha3322 that's so great that your gym is letting you do 3 months at a time. Let your in laws know that you staying healthy is in the baby's best interest and if it seems like too much, you will stop. Good luck and congrats!!!