Nurseries and Baby Gear

Car Seat question

my infant is very scrunched in his car seat & hates it, I have a Chicco key fit. We have to travel out of state for family reasons, but the poor baby just hates his car seat. He will only be 6 weeks old when we leave. Is there something I can buy to put in his car seat, or even a better car seat I can get?!

Thanks

My History:
Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.

Re: Car Seat question

• I don't think you should put anything in the seat. Not safe. A different seat might be better but all babies sit kind of scrunched at that age- just what happens when you don't have any neck strength. Maybe go on a few short trips to the store or whatnot beforehand. Usually little ones like their car seats - lulls them to sleep. You could get a sound machine for the car? Or try a pacifier when he is in his seat?
  • asm07asm07 member
    Agree with pp. Don't add anything to the seat. Any chance your LO has reflux? Often times the car seat can exacerbate it because of how they sit. My daughter had silent reflux and hated the car seat for the first few months of her life. I used to sit in the back with her so she could see me. I would sing, read books, anything to try and keep her happy. She's one of the few babies who never sleeps in the car, but thankfully she doesn't get upset like she used to. We didn't change anything, but I think it was a combination of outgrowing the reflux, transitioning to a convertible, and just getting used to being in the car. I would try what pp suggested. Also make sure to stop and take baby out of the seat every 1.5-2 hours. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I will start taking short trips, good idea. I didn't mean adding anything that wasn't safe. I meant adding something like this

My History:
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • We will for sure be stopping a lot. With breastfeeding he eats pretty often anyway. We also have a 5 year old with a tiny bladder! lol

My History:

• asm07asm07 member
    Unfortunately that isn't safe to use. Yes, they sell them for use in car seats, but they're not recommended because they can affect the way a seat works in a crash.

https://csftl.org/non-regulated-products/
  • Interesting @asm07 thanks for the info!

My History:

• kmcc14kmcc14 member
    asm07 said:
    Unfortunately that isn't safe to use. Yes, they sell them for use in car seats, but they're not recommended because they can affect the way a seat works in a crash. https://csftl.org/non-regulated-products/
    That's really good to know.  I've had several FTM friends register for those recently, and I had no idea they were not safe.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• asm07 said:

Unfortunately that isn't safe to use. Yes, they sell them for use in car seats, but they're not recommended because they can affect the way a seat works in a crash.

https://csftl.org/non-regulated-products/

Thank you for saying this! Anything that goes between the car and car seat or car seat and baby is not safe. The seat protectors, those inserts, puffy jackets, all no no no. The seat would be just on the seat and the straps need to be right against baby.

Maybe try some toys? My 3 mo old stopped liking the car until we gave her something to look at.

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker