Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

8 week old won't sleep during the day! Please help!

My baby girl just turned 8 weeks yesterday, she has been sleeping during the day fine (2-3 hours at a time) up until 4 days ago. She wakes up in the morning around 5:30-6:30 and from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep at 9-10 pm she is fighting me to go to sleep, screaming crying and the only way to get her to sleep is bouncing and shushing. Unfortunately, once we get her to sleep she wakes up during her REM sleep (within 5-20 minutes) every time no matter where she's sleeping (including in my arms). This goes on constantly all day until her final fight around 9-10 pm when she sleeps until 1-3 am for only night feed. We feel so awful for her because she is showing all signs of tiredness (rubbing eyes, irritability and yawning) and she is only getting 6-8 hours of sleep a day tops. We are so worried about her well being having such short amount of sleep and crying so much that she gets sweaty and hot. We have tried stroller walks, car rides, pacifiers, you name it. We just don't know what to do at this point. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions? Please send them my way! Thank you soooo much!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 8 week old won't sleep during the day! Please help!

• Options
    Have you tried the 5 Ss? Swaddle (super tight), lay on side, sway, say shhh, and give a paci?
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    This happened to my LO around 6 weeks. I was recommended the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. It helped a lot.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you swaddle her? I had to do that for night time and naps for the first few months.
  • Options
    GAHHH! NO advice but this is us right now at almost 7 weeks.  First time I have seriously broken down and cried.  I'm ready to take her to the pediatrician because it seems so unhealthy. I thought babies this age sleep all day!? WTF
  • Options
    GAHHH! NO advice but this is us right now at almost 7 weeks.  First time I have seriously broken down and cried.  I'm ready to take her to the pediatrician because it seems so unhealthy. I thought babies this age sleep all day!? WTF

Nope. That's only the first couple weeks :(
  • Options

Do you swaddle her? I had to do that for night time and naps for the first few months.

I second this. I try to do a similar routine at nap time as at night.. Change diaper, feed, swaddle. (Or whichever order you prefer). That way your LO gets in a "sleep routine".
  • Options
    We had the same problem with our little one for about 3 or 4 weeks starting at 3. Or 4 weeks old . She was only getting about 10 hours of sleep....maybe! She had a hard time with napping during the day. It would take me about one hour and half to get her down for a nap and then she might only sleep for 5 or 10 minutes! I started using a white noise app and we also bought a Dohm. I also started a nap routine, where I would shut the curtains turn on the app and Dohm. Sometimes I would swaddle her as well. We're now finally getting into somewhat of a routine and she seems to be doing better and it only takes her about ten to fifteen minutes to get to sleep for a nap. I've also heard Once babies get older then there nap routines start to become better.
  • Options
    Have you tried swaddling or wearing her in a wrap?
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Bathing? Some babies are so tired after bath that fall asleep as soon as they are fed afterwards;) maybe it will help! Also check if temperature in your house is ok (it should be between 19-21 degrees c), than baby can breath easily, and also check her/his clothes (very hot or cold is not good;)). Maybe white noise will also help (we have the air freshener which I put on TURBO while my LO sleeps). And sleeping routine is very helpful but you should give it a week to start working. Hope something will work for you both!
  • Options
    My LO did the same thing in the evenings. I found the lavender baby bath and lotion to work pretty well when nothing else would.
  • Options
    My 8 wo daughter was not napping well during the day, and I tried making her room really dark, almost pitch black. This seemed to help. I also give her gas drops after nursing and before swaddling, to help keep gas pains from waking her. Sounds like you've probably tried that though. Best of luck to you, I know it's hard!
  • Options
    apa14apa14 member
    edited July 2015