Pregnant after IF

abnormally high NK cells don't know what to believe

Hi ladies......had 5 losses in 2 years.   RE does not believe in immunological testing but after losing the last 2 PGD and PGS tested pregnancies at 6 and 6 l/2 weels we went to Sher for Immunological Testing.......My first 3 losses were 2 chemicals and 1 missed miscarriage.

I am 38 and so down about this...they just called from Sher and said I had very abnormal elevated NK cells.    She said there is treatment but I would have to have my other tested embryos sent there since they will only treat if they do FET.......Does anyone have any input about the diagnosis of very high NK cell activity....We are so confused because some doctors  believe it and my original RE;s obviously do not.  Any experience or info or anything would be sooooooo helpful. Thank you so much in advance.

Re: abnormally high NK cells don't know what to believe

• I have not personally dealt with this but I know many women on the infertility vet boards that did and went to see Dr KK in Chicago I think? Unfortunately the boards are much slower these days so I'm not sure how many ladies are still around to chime in, best of luck to you! If it were me personally I'd definitely explore any option and I think at this point it would be worth you looking into addressing the NK cell issue

imageimageimageimage

*******siggy/ticker warning***** 

Me(31). DH (31)

DH SA normal count and motility, 1% morphology
    Me .72 AMH, Fragile X premutation carrier
    IVF #1 (6/12/13) BFN

IVF #2 (8/16/13) BFN

FET 10/4/13 Chemical

IVF #3 MC 5 weeks 5 days

IVF #4 DE 11/7 BFP, edd 7/28/15

All Welcome

BabyFruit Ticker

• Lurker here! I'm so sorry for the dx and your losses. I was dx with high NK cells by SIRMNJ after having a chromosomally normal loss. I did the intralipids for my last cycle and it was NBD. Fish oil is thought to lower NK cells activity, but my RE cautioned that this was not a sub for the intralipids. SIRM will also put you on a steroid. With 5 losses, I'd do everything Dr. Sher suggests.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Loading the player...
  • I did intralipids for this FET that resulted in my BFP. My previous cycle my doc was suspicious over why two lovely embryos didn't stick. He said the medical world is split about it but he anecdotally from his own practice found that high NKT cells and the use of intralipids helped.

The fact it worked with me is no proof of much .... But I didn't find any negatives to doing it! I did it in South Africa and the cost was minimal approx $35 for the medication I ended up doing 4. Sure it's an comfortable hour with a drip but in the scheme of things, it's no biggie!

I also took fish oils and steroid!

I have read some accounts of practices that swear by it there is me in UK that says they have had great successes but if your doc is cautious. Maybe insist if you feel it can help. There are docs out there in favor so in some ways it's an opinion thing! Go with your gut, I felt I learnt to trust that feeling, it's all we got really. My gut says it helped. If not then maybe ask your doc what he makes of the high cell number and what he suggests? I really don't think there is a right answer just a lot of opinion.

Wish you all the luck in the future. Stay strong you are an incredible woman to have gone through all you have and I hope you get your happy ending!
  • thank you all for your support........will talk with RE after I do some more research....If this was the answer I would be excited to do all the meds.    thanks again..
  • Don't know if I am too late but I too had high natural killer cells and cytokines. I never got pregnant at all until I treated them. Many women suppress their immune system ( which is what you will need to do ) and have success. There is always a reason for infertility. It's just simply not normal to not be able to conceive and have losses. Most people have to actually try to NOT get pregnant. I took intralipids and for awhile they did lower my NK cells but I didn't get pregnant during the IVF cycles I used them. Then I wanted to give my last embryos the best chance possible and the intralipids stopped working so I did IVIg and bam. I had to take a slew of supplements, 40mg of prednisone, lovenox ( blood thinner) and do IVIg to get this far with this pregnancy. I am a believer immune issues. They can either manifest as infertility by preventing implantation from happening or cause miscarriages. Dr. Sher is an amazing man. Amazing. I trust him the MOST when it comes to reproductive endocrinology. And the man does believe in immune issues, ( as he should because they are very real), but he is not a reproductive immunologist, and when it comes to reproductive immunology I would go with one of the experts. Dr. Sher for example ( Sher institutes) will not retest a woman's blood to make sure the intralipids are working ( as far as I know). My doctor ( Joanne Kwak Kim of rosalind franklin university) frequently checks the levels to make sure the meds are working. Dr. Sher said it's unnecessary to do so, but If I hadn't of been rechecked to see that the intralipids were working I would not have discovered that they were NOT working. If you don't want to send your embryos to SIRM, the go to a reproductive immunologist and they will comanage you with your RE, even if your RE doesn't believe in reproductive immunology. If you do go to SIRM I would demand they recheck you to make sure they are working. More than once. My insurance covers this testing through Dr. Kwak Kim so that may be easy for me to say, but honestly the intralipids were working for months. Like 6 months and then they stopped working. Let's us know what you decide and I am SO happy for you that you discovered the problem.
  • Hi just wanted to let you know I had high NK Cells too, after 3 miscarriages we have a very healthy FET Cycle 16 week pregnancy after using steroids & low dose aspirin. I think it is definitely worth trying! Best of luck, truly sorry for the Angels that can't be with you.