October 2015 Moms

Routine Appointment SCARE!!!

First of all, this is my second baby. When I was pregnant with my first, I had my husband go to every single appointment with me...even the boring 2nd trimester ones! This time around, I realize the appointments are so short and sweet, I don't ask him to come anymore. Anyways.......

So I was the last appointment of the day yesterday, 4:30pm. I get called in at around 4:45 and we do the normal routine: pee, weight, blood pressure, wait for the doctor. All is fine. So the doctor comes in and feels my belly and then listens for the heartbeat. He is usually a PRO and can always find her heartbeat right away. Except for yesterday. Hes moving all around my stomach, sliding the gel everywhere and he can't hear anything. I immediately freak out and fear the worst (and naturally I'm all alone). So he excuses himself and brings back another doppler and says this one can detect heartbeats easier (wtf????) but he STILL can't find it. Finally, I burst into tears. He tries too soothe me and tell me she's probably just nestled in a weird spot. He brings me into the sonogram room and finds her right away, curled up tight in a ball and there's her heart, beating a perfect 142. He says, "I figured it was a girl! She's gonna give you a run for your money when she's older!" 

What a stressful day. Then I went home and ate ice cream for dinner.

Re: Routine Appointment SCARE!!!

• I am so glad that he was able to find it and that baby girl is perfectly healthy!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate when they bring in an extra doctor bc they can't find something.
  • I had ice cream for dinner too, but that was bc this baby is way too picky I'm tired of wasting money on food.
  • My dr had to push on one part of my stomach and kind of block his movements so she could get his heartbeat. He doesn't like dopplers or ultrasound probes, he moves away from them.
  • We had the same thing happen at our last appointment. Thankfully it was directly after our anatomy scan so we knew baby was looking good and heart was beating. It took the midwife a solid 10 minutes to find it!
  • bvan83bvan83 member
    This happened with my first and it's definitely a horrible feeling. Glad your girl is healthy and happy :)
  • This happened with my first appointment and they didn't have an ultrasound machine in the clinic, so I had to schedule another appointment somewhere else! Turns out I had an anterior placenta, which makes sense because all they could get with the doppler was my heartbeat. Super stressful. I earned that maple bar like you earned that ice cream! Haha
  • Ugh That is the worst and something I fear. Luckily next appt in anatomy scan so hopefully all goes well and will see everything right away. How many weeks are you?

Yum ice cream.. Love you guys just LOLed
  • My heart dropped reading that! So glad she was just curled up!

I read the ice cream comment to my husband and he said "so it's not just you!"
  • Ugh That is the worst and something I fear. Luckily next appt in anatomy scan so hopefully all goes well and will see everything right away. How many weeks are you? Yum ice cream.. Love you guys just LOLed

I hope everything goes great for you at your anatomy scan @christina4436 :) I am 21 weeks, and we had our anatomy scan last week, done by the perinatologist...this appointment was a routine monthly. SO STRESSFUL...but so glad she's just playing hide and seek from the doctor ;)
  • That is why i eat sugar or something cold before every appt. That way even if they aren't getting the heartbeat i can feel the baby move. I'd have flipped out though.