Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Middle of the night bottle/bedtime bottle

My LO will be 12 months on June 30. We are in the middle of weaning his bedtime bottle (takes 2oz formula + 3 oz water now) and he is doing well with the decreased amount, but he still wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle. It is usually almost the same time every night (like 3/3:30 am). Is this normal for an 11 month old? If so, when should I start to wean the middle of the night? According to our pedi at his nine month appointment, he shouldn't need the middle of the night feed anymore, but here we are still going strong. I wonder if he does this because it is routine, or if he really needs the feed? Will he phase this out on his own, or should we try to phase it out soon? Haaalp. Thanks.

Re: Middle of the night bottle/bedtime bottle

• I was still giving my son milk (WCM once he turned 1) before bed well after 12 months but from a sippy instead of a bottle. I just made sure to brush his teeth afterward. It was just part of our routine so I kept it until about 18 months old.

I wouldn't listen to your Pedi on this and just do what you feel is best. There really isn't a "normal" when it comes to this and it's really hard to know if it's habit or an actual need.

I would start decreasing the amount of the MOTN bottle until it's down to a couple ounces and hopefully that will help. You should be able to tell right away if he's actually hungry because that won't satisfy him.

• I still give my 18 month old daughter 8 oz of whole milk after dinner & before bed. We brush her teeth after. My daughter stopped waking for MOTN feedings around 10 months. Id follow your gut and if you think he needs more before bed or a MOTN feeding go with it. You knwo your son best.
  • Loading the player...
  • With DH's help my 18-mo DS' MOTN nursing is now 4-5 am. On the other hand my DD stopped MOTN feedings early by 14 mos or so, but still had MOTN awakenings. My kids are physically and intellectually advanced, but verbally delayed and insomniacs. I figure 2 out of 4 is good. ;)  GL!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker