Potty Training
Options

18 months old help!

My lo is 18 months and a after having a few episodes where he pooped in the bathtub I decided to put him in the toilet when he showed his signs during bath time.
Well, I guess he liked it, and since then he has asked a few times to go potty.
He always does a little in the toilet but when I put his diaper back on he does a little more.
He also started to take out his diaper and pee on the bathroom floor and complaining about the diaper all the time.
Now my question is:
Would you insist on full on potty training?
Should I just take him to the bathroom when he asks and not stress about it ?
TIA

Re: 18 months old help!

• Options
    If he is asking and showing interest then you should try
  • Options
    nano1nano1 member
    Hi I'm jumping in on this board, not quite a regular yet. Our son is 19months old and is showing an interest in the toilet and has been irritated by his diapers also. We have cloth diapered part time and he recently started going and grabbing a cloth diaper when he poops. He's made it quite clear to us that he'd rather wear the cloth over a disposable. If you're not quite ready to jump into potty training I thought I'd throw the cd thing out there because it's made our diaper changes and wearing a lot smoother!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I haven't been on in a very long time but was just checking boards when I saw this.  I have 4 kids and my older 3 were fully PT (daytime, naps and bedtime- we did have to assist them with taking down their pants and wiping but they told us when they had to go) at 17 months, 15 months & 13 months old.  My youngest is 11 months old so I haven't started yet.  The reason why my 17 month old was "older" was we waited until we were on baby leave to train him.  Honestly it was easy and took just a few days.  Once I started PT I never put another diaper on them again.  There was never power struggles, etc. If it was me, I would do it.  I've done different methods for each child- timer method (set timer for 30 min first day, 45 min the next and kept doing that until I got to 2 hours) and I've done the naked method- it really depended on the child.  I do want to add, all my kids were/are CD so that probably helped because when they turned 1 years old I took the fleece liners out of their diapers so they'd feel the wetness and that's when I noticed they didn't like being in wet diapers.
  • Options
    Follow his lead. Don't force him and don't stress about it. He still seems awfully young, but just put him on there when he asks and/or shows interest.