June 2015 Moms

pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy PUPPs is NO JOKE!

So I developed PUPPs over the weekend and I've been living with it for about 3 days. It is so intensely itchy and annoying, I was actually crying last night when I was going to bed because I was so frustrated. The dr. said Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream is the only way to get relief but it won't go away until after the baby is born. However, Benadryl and cream isn't helping me at all and I can tell the Benadryl is making the baby drowsy because he's moving a lot less. Has anyone developed this? What have you been doing or have done to get some relief?

Re: pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy PUPPs is NO JOKE!

• I don't have pupps but I have cholestasis since 28 weeks which also makes me incredibly itchy. I use Sarna lotion which has menthol and camaphor in it and gives a cooling sensation to the skin. It works best when taken after a cool shower, my hubs puts it on and I turn the fan or ac on. It at least helps me to fall asleep. I also take hydroxyzine Hcl 25 mg on bad nights and it helps with the itch and sleeping. My mfm prescribed it to me after I also complained that Benadryl didn't work and made baby sleepy. My doc had also recommended Vicks vapo rub for the itching. My itch is more of an internal itch than a rash like yours but maybe my suggestions can help you too! Good luck!
  • There have been several posts about this, so you'll have better results if you use the search function to look for 'PUPPPS.'

That said, I had it with my first (usually only a first-pregnancy problem) and it was terrible! I wound up induced because it was such an awful case. The day before induction, my doctor gave me a steroid that helped tremendously. I slept with ice packs all over my body-- uncomfortable, but the only way I could get some semblance of control over the itching. It isn't an allergic reaction, so not sure how Benadryl will help. The good news is that it does go away immediately after delivery. The bad news is that's the only way to get rid of it. 

When are you due?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry! I had PUPPS with my first and it was horrible!

I took Aeveno baby oatmeal baths and used the Aeveno baby lotion. I used the lotion a few times a day and it helped. It didn't go away till like a week or so after her birth.

Good luck and hope you get some relief soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• I'm scheduled for a csection June 8 so I know the end is near. In the meantime this is really putting a damper on the end of my pregnancy.
  • I had PUPPPs as well, they were HORRIBLE. It itched so bad, I used whatever I could find ( usually a hard plastic bristled brush) to scratch the itch. Sometimes scratched my skin or broke open the bumps. I had them for a little over 3 weeks... had to be ice cold in order to keep the itching to a minimum.. air conditioning full blast, ice packs, cold baths 5 times a day/ night. Hardly no sleep at all. Tried Grandpa's Pine Tar Wonder Soap ($4 at GNC) I didnt really notice it helping much... but it didnt hurt or make it worse. Natural soap is probably best for a rash. Cortizone Anti-itch cream didnt work, Benadryl cream didnt work.. Finally I got a steroid ointment from my doctor as well as taking 1 off-brand Claritin in the morning and 2 Benadryl at night (hoping they would help me sleep too, but they didnt over power the rash) the steroid ointment took the rash away within 4 days the appearance was 90% better, but I still itched for about another 3 days. Now its completely gone, still get a little itchy all over sometimes due to stretching and maybe dry skin. So sorry for anyone who has or has had PUPPPs... its miserable.