Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sadness leaving LO before work

Hey all! 

I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight. I have a 19 month old daughter and I just finished my first year of law school. I was lucky enough to have an easy transition back to work when I first had her (Both my husband and I work with my mom's small company, so I started working just a couple of hours a day from home, then a couple hours at work). I never went back to work full-time, but I did do school full-time this year. I love school.  Now, I'm interning at a small firm over the summer. I don't love it quite as much as I love school.

Anyway, throughout the year, my daughter stayed usually with my grandma, sometimes with my mom, and occasionally with my husband. She is always with family. Recently, I started feeling really sad leaving her before work. I rarely felt this way leaving her before going to school.

I would totally understand if this sadness is attributable to my not liking work so much. She has also gotten increasingly attached to me, and cries hysterically when I leave her at my grandma's (this too has been recent). I would understand if this was a factor in my sadness also.

But, I'm wondering if it's possible/likely that my sadness is totally random? Have any of you started feeling sad leaving your LO out of nowhere? How did you deal with it? And how soon before it got better?

Thanks!

Re: Sadness leaving LO before work

• I was ok dropping my son off at daycare when I saw he was happy playing. I would cry in my car after when he was older and crying and hanging on my leg. They go through a phase. The daycare helped me. They hugged him right away to calm him and gave him an activity right away and I would call after I left and they said he forgot all about me in 5 minutes. They send photos in my email of him playing and happy do that makes me feel a lot better. Maybe you could ask your family to text little snapshots throughout the day to make you feel better? Sometimes it makes you feel worse though cause you are missing out on all the fun. It's definitely normal to have these feelings of mom-guilt though. You are not alone and you are being the best mom you can be my working and bettering yourself. This phase will pass and soon they'll be saying. "C-ya" "When are you going?" **Hugs
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I think these kinds of feelings come and go. I'd bet it has a lot to do with your new job and feelings of uncertainty surrounding that. It will get better! Stay strong Mama ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both! It's nice to know this sadness is normal and hopefully will get better soon
  • I too have experienced the sadness at drop off and some times during the day when I'm working at my desk. It pops up at random times but I think it's a good thing. You love your child and you miss her. How can that NOT be normal?!

Other posters are right, one day in the future your daughter will slam the door in your face after you drop her off, just like my son does now. He literally shoves me out the door and says "bye mom, go to work!".

Hang in there.