November 2015 Moms
Options

ReD wine

hey friends, I'm 17 weeks and haven't touched a drop of alcohol since I found out. Is it safe to have 1 glass of wine with dinner tonight?

Re: ReD wine

• Options
    I have heard its perfectly safe. I love and miss my wine terribly. But I dont want to chance anything. Just temporary....5 more months! Lol
  • Options
    AshenSkyAshenSky member
    edited June 2015
    There are going to be many comments with opposing opinions... In MY opinion, I don't think there is an issue with it. I had a half of a glass of wine here and there with my DD and this pregnancy I have had a few sips of my husbands and the farther along I get I will have a half of a glass here and there again.
    Even Drs have different opinions on this subject
    Edit:spelling
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My opinion is that one glass here and there is fine. I had a delicious (small) glass of rosé last night.
  • Options
    I know it's not a right now answer, but I would ask your doctor/midwife's opinion. I know I'll be asking them next time!

That being said, I'm sure one glass is fine. However without hearing it from a medical professional first I wouldn't risk it.
  • Options
    Lol, thanks ladies most of you are having the same thoughts as me. I was told by friends they did it but I'm so scared. I guess I'll hold out, this whole situation makes me feel like an alcoholic, I WANT wine lol.
  • Options

Lol, thanks ladies most of you are having the same thoughts as me. I was told by friends they did it but I'm so scared. I guess I'll hold out, this whole situation makes me feel like an alcoholic, I WANT wine lol.

Girl, I feel you. I salivate at the thought of tequila - if I wasn't scared of the consequences of drinking it, I think I could kill a person for a margarita at this point. Not the consequences of manslaughter- the consequences to my unborn child. I might be exaggerating a bit but it's a pretty bad want to say the least...

The only thing that's keeping me from a glass of wine is that I don't know my OBs opinion and that I've heard that the glass of wine being fine is in the 3rd tri.
  • Options
    It's a matter of personal comfort and the opinion of your Dr. My midwife last time okayed a half glass on occasion into late-2nd and 3rd tri. I indulged in a shot-glass pour (to measure) at Christmas, my anniversary and few sips here and there.

That said there are no studies done that show a "safe" threshold for alcohol in pregnancy because who would sign up for that?!? Overdoing it could cause FAS a severe and debilitating birth defect which we don't know the threshold of consumption if either.

I'm with you I miss my wine but I don't want to be stupid. I switched providers and I'm having twins so I won't be imbibing this time unless my Dr approves.
  • Options
    https://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog?tag=alcohol

Some good info on both sides. I'm of the mind that one glass of wine once in a while won't hurt and in Europe, it's very common. My best friend had a glass of wine once Or twice a week and has a very developmentally advanced toddler girl who is on track to be six feet tall.
  • Options

I have heard a glass of wine here and there is fine. But I know me and if the something was wrong with my LO I know I would keep wondering if that glass I wine did it. I know that is crazy, but for me it is not worth worrying about. I can live without wine until November.

Yup this is me! I would blame myself and the wine. Not judging anyone else (I mean my mother admitted to having an occasional glass of wine when pregnant with me) but personally, it's best for me to wait.
  • Options

I totally feel like an alcoholic too. My first glass of wine after having DS was amazing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have friends who have had some wine after the first trimester. My OB recommends zero alcohol while pregnant though. So, I have always went with that. I would always worry.
  • Options
    TacoSarahTacoSarah member
    edited June 2015

I'm in the 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good' camp. But I live in the UK and our approach here is very different to North American thinking. I have a friend from Paris and she is more relaxed about her drinking. I haven't indulged yet, I'm waiting for a special occasion or where the wine is just so delicious I'd be a fool not to try a little.

There are far, far worse things you can put in/on your body than a little red wine - hydrogenated oils for example. Even applying Bio Oil has it's potential risks, there's on going debate over BHT having possible links to cancer, asthma and behavioral issues in children.

• Options
    Personally I wait until the 3rd tri. But a small glass shouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    Loved Expecting Better too, @kmkrushi ! Unfortunately my husband is in the camp "Why not just wait until you have the baby to drink? There's no harm in waiting." He's not drinking out of solidarity. So that's likely why I'll withhold all drinking. Maybe I'll have a glass of champagne at my baby shower. :)
  • Options

Loved Expecting Better too, @kmkrushi ! Unfortunately my husband is in the camp "Why not just wait until you have the baby to drink? There's no harm in waiting." He's not drinking out of solidarity. So that's likely why I'll withhold all drinking. Maybe I'll have a glass of champagne at my baby shower. :)

That's really nice of him. Mine has definitely not! But he does home brew so I can't really fault him for drinking his own... our grocery bill has gone down tremendously with me not picking up craft beers like I used to.
  • Options
    CEB37CEB37 member
    I usually wait until late in the 2nd tri, but I'll have a half glass with dinner a few times a week and my doctor is fine with that.
  • Options
    Definitely go with what your doctor says, but I am a firm believer that one or two small glasses of wine a week won't hurt anything.  With DS, I can count on one hand the amount of glasses of wine I drank while pregnant, but I was so paranoid after multiple years of fertility treatments that I practically had myself bubble wrapped for 40 weeks.  I am not doing that with this baby. I'm having my coffee, eating foods in moderation that many run from (deli meat heated up, sushi from a reliable place, soft cheeses, etc).  My doctor told me that moderation is key and just exclude hard liquor when it comes to alcohol.  He says as long as you are smart about it (drink plenty of water and don't have 2 glasses in one sitting), the baby won't be hurt by a little wine or beer at dinner.  He is a big fan of "look globally at all the healthy babies delivered and those culture drink lightly, eat sushi, eat [insert other foods we are afraid of here].  Just don't overdo it". 
  • Options
    helskos said:
    I have heard a glass of wine here and there is fine. But I know me and if the something was wrong with my LO I know I would keep wondering if that glass I wine did it. I know that is crazy, but for me it is not worth worrying about. I can live without wine until November.
    Yup this is me! I would blame myself and the wine. Not judging anyone else (I mean my mother admitted to having an occasional glass of wine when pregnant with me) but personally, it's best for me to wait.
    This is me as well.  My daughter has some learning disorders (although as a toddler was very advanced) and I have blamed myself for so many things I may have done to cause it.  The fewer whips I have to lash myself with if anything goes wrong, the better for my own sanity. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    I fall in the too paranoid category as well. I don't want to ever guess that something I did, that was totally preventable, could have caused any issues with my child. My thoughts are better safe than sorry, but I have no qualms with others partaking occasionally.