December 2015 Moms

DHA.... Myth? And Calcium Daily Intake?

I've read a little about DHA and moving from 250 to 500 mgs per day. Anyone else taking?

Also my prenatal only has 12% Calcium daily intake --- anyone else taking a supplement?

Re: DHA.... Myth? And Calcium Daily Intake?

• I heard about the DHA too... My doctors didn't seem to really care one way or another. I can't stomach either the fish oil pills or the other vegan Omega 3s. Only way that I get them is through gummy prenatals. The only thing my docs were concerned about was that I start taking an iron supplement in the second tri...

However, and I don't know how much DHA is in them, but you can look for organic eggs with omega-3 DHA in the Whole Foods Markets. I started eating them and that's my extra source. I doubt it's a substantial enough amount to make a difference though. The same thing as Chia drinks... They won't hurt you but it's more of a gimmick.
  • For calcium. Try eating yogurt in the morning. That's what I do, I choose plain whole yogurt with a bit of honey to taste . It curbs morning sickened and eases my tummy too. Good digestive enzymes in yogurt. Big bump of calcium. A great low cal option is fat free lactaid. It is fortified with more calcium than milk and is sweeter :) less gas too. Just those two things will bump you to the correct calcium levels.
  • Loading the player...
  • Calcium and iron compete for absorption so that might be why your prenatal isn't very high. It is actually best to space calcium intake throughout the day so you absorb more and seperate from iron. 
  • Take your iron with vitamin C... That helps with iron absorption. Also, almond milk has more calcium than regular milk... Blend some fruit in it for an awesome smoothie... Or ice cream, whatever floats your boat ;)
  • DHA helps with brain development. I asked my OB about it and he suggested starting to take supplements after 18-20 weeks so I'm planning on doing that. It's important to get a high quality fish oil that's as natural as possible. Nordic Naturals is one of the best in the market and the one that most of my friends take (and one that I plan to take). 
  • My OB has been pushing DHA since day one of pregnancy. Since the brain starts developing early on baby needs all it can get! My prenatals have some in it.. I think I need iron this baby is sucking the life out of me lol I'm so pale in my face.
  • I've been taking DHA with my prenatals since I came off the pill more than a year ago. Call me crazy, but it has helped reduce the floater in my eye! If it can turn that around, it's gotta be going great things for the LO!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers