Military Families
Options

Healthcare Options

okay, my BF is in the military and I am civilian with Blue Cross Blue Shield healthcare. We are trying to figure out if I should apply for Medicaid (cut cost on doctor visits etc) and then put the baby under his healthcare after he/she is born. Or keep the baby on Medicaid. I am not military so I'm not sure about all that comes with their healthcare coverage. Just trying to see what will work best for us young parents, thanks.

6wk2days

Re: Healthcare Options

• Options
    As young parents I would def put ur child under his healthcare cause everything will b paid for. The appointments and er will be on military bases or hospitals and once ur child is born he/she can get a dependent card so u can get on base for appointments it also includes two dental checkups a year. Glasses if needed all medications for ur little one, and all appointments No penny out of pocket.
  • Options
    amh0411712amh0411712 member
    edited June 2015
    realmamma said:

As young parents I would def put ur child under his healthcare cause everything will b paid for. The appointments and er will be on military bases or hospitals and once ur child is born he/she can get a dependent card so u can get on base for appointments it also includes two dental checkups a year. Glasses if needed all medications for ur little one, and all appointments No penny out of pocket.

Dental is NOT covered under Tricare Prime.
    This is at a low cost to the service member and requires enrollment.

I suggest enrolling in both, medicare is the only insurance that is secondary to Tricare.

Your baby will automatically be enrolled for 60 days after birth in Tricare Prime, he must be on your boyfriends page 2.

From there you can decide if Standard or Prime would be best. If you have Standard then having medicade as a back up would help with any co-pays and payments needed.

We've utilized Prime and have been very happy for my children. We have needed various specialty appointments and therapy and have paid $0 for it.