August 2015 Moms

I get a contraction every time I get up...

I get a contraction every time I stand up or change positions. I'm 30w6d second time around and I don't remember this happening with the first pregnancy. I was put on bedrest at 33 weeks and had my first baby at 35 weeks. So naturally every little thing has had me concerned this time around. When I asked the dr about it all they say is no more than five contractions in an hour. (What if I get up five times in an hour...) I am wondering if I should request that the dr check my cervix (I was dilated 3cm at 33 weeks last pregnancy) or if I should just suck it up and quit being paranoid. Anyone else having the same contractions when they move around?

Re: I get a contraction every time I get up...

• I wouldn't request a cervical check this early as that can actually cause more problems if you are indeed experiencing contractions. They can do a transvaginal ultrasound to see if there has been any cervical change. That said, any change of position I, as well, have a contraction. My Dr noticed it as I was getting on/off the exam table. He was nonchalant about it and so am I.
  • Ok, so I'm going to suck it up and try not to be paranoid. Lol A part of me is so over this pregnancy, but an even bigger part of me does not want to go through what I went through the last time. Two weeks of visiting the NICU every couple of hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, so I'm going to suck it up and try not to be paranoid. Lol A part of me is so over this pregnancy, but an even bigger part of me does not want to go through what I went through the last time. Two weeks of visiting the NICU every couple of hours.
    Having a preemie totally mindf*cks you, doesn't it? At the end of the day, will seeing/talking to your doctor ease your mind? If so, then do it. Peace of mind is priceless.
  • Yesterday I was having BH and pressure and pain in my lower pelvis when standing. I had things to do and a toddler so until I lied down later in the evening they finally calmed down. I say BH bc with DD I couldn't breathe and was in tears every contraction so hopefully they were just BH!
  • This was happening to me on Tuesday. Every time I got up, I'd get swamped with contractions. I decided to stay horizontal on the couch and see how much water I could drink. They went away. I had an ob appointment on Thursdayand got checked out. Everything was fine with cervix still sealed up and DD positioned very high, so no worries.

I would say that, given your history, getting checked out isn't necessarily a bad idea. My ob keeps a close eye on me, since withmy first two pregnancies I began dialating at about 32 weeks.

A lot to be said for peace of mind.
  • I get them when I get up, sit down, pee, laugh too hard, etc. I worry about them too sometimes but I try to just remember that my doctor told me to worry if there's more than 4 per hour. However, I agree with @breezymeema7 that you should call or visit your doctor if it would give you peace of mind.