Infertility

Just received prescriptions....overwhelmed!! HELP

So, I received the scripts for the egg retrieval and I'm overwhelmed to say the least. It's 9 medications, some of which require mixing, injecting and patches!! I pray to God I get pregnant on the first round of this process. All lab work came back normal. Also, I'm trying to decide what is the PGS test for? I'm healthy and my husband doesn't have any issues in his family so I'm confused about the PGS test. HELP!

Re: Just received prescriptions....overwhelmed!! HELP

• I panicked as well when my box of meds arrived to the point of crying to my DH that I wasn't going to do this anymore.  It's honestly not as bad as it looks.  Did your RE give you the instructions on mixing? The first time I had to mix the meds I called the office and had my IVF nurse walk me through it on the phone.  Also, there is a website you can go to or if you have a device that you can download apps on, the app MyFertility has video lessons on every medication.  It seems like a daunting task but after the first night you will become a pro at it, and use the nurses at your RE office, I thought I was driving them crazy by asking but they assured me that they would rather me ask than do something wrong and compromise the cycle.  As far as PSG testing, we didn't do that, my RE didn't suggest it.  Good luck!  
    Me: 40  
    TTC #1: 3 years
    Me: Type II Diabetic
    Started with RE 11/2014
    Going through IUI with Donor Sperm

• jnissajnissa member
    If it makes you feel better, my husband is a doctor and even he was like, "Holy medications" when we did our cycle :) I can't even imagine having sorted through those without him and I had a much simpler protocol than you seem to.

PGS testing screens for chromosomal abnormalities, which many embryos have even if you and your husband are healthy (ie: it's not genetic disorders, it's naturally occurring chromosomal disorders). It can help you to select only the embryos that are compatible with life to transfer, which means less money spent on FETs later and higher success rates. It can also help you decide (if you want to) to remove embryos that may be compatible with life but have other abnormalities. Almost 50% of all embryos are chromosomally abnormal, so it can save you some heartbreak (and money) down the line. It is very expensive to do up front though. 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • Girl, if I had a dollar for every time I felt overwhelmed before and during the process or for every time I cried about how confusing and unfair it was, I'd be rich!
    It's very daunting to look at but I promise, you'll get through it! What really helped me was to break down which medications would be used when. I took everything out of the box on the kitchen table, took my schedule from the doctor, and sorted it all out. I put what goes together in a zip lock bag with a sticky note on each saying "used after bc, before transfer" or "take week of transfer" or "taken after transfer". That seemed to help a ton! Then you can concentrate on what you will actually be needed at a certain time.
    Our first ivf sadly resulted in a lost so when we decided to so a fet and got the meds (granted, the regiment was a little lighter), I laughed at how scared I was the first time. Once you get the swing of it, it'll come as a second nature.
    I'm 8w5 days along and still do 2 injections a day of progesterone and think nothing of it while others can't believe I can do it all the time. My in laws can't believe I can do that every day but it's for an amazing reward! Honestly, it will probably be weird when I don't have to stab myself. Plus, when your child is old enough to know and understand, you can use that as a guilt making tool to make them clean their room, haha.
  • I'm just taking it one day at a time. I put out the ones I am suppose to do (it was 3 plus all my supps) and then I marked in my calander hey.. go check new meds... and will check it then lol.. otherwise.. yeah.. this is a whole lot of meds
    F39/M35 - "ttc" since 1999. "unexplained", MFI, hashi, ic, insulin resistance. 5 cycles of clomid, 4 months of metformin 2009= 1 beautiful dd with severe autism
    IVF#1 - June 2015 (follistim300 menopur150 12 days etc.) 9 follies at start, new ones kept popping up 10? but too small. 14R/9M/6F(icsi)/2 ccs normal boys
    Fresh canceled due to abnormal embryo
    FET#1 - Aug 2015
  • Hi there! I'm new to this group! Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain! We are starting our first cycle and am on day 3 of Injections! I'll just say that I am a nurse and thought it would be no big deal to do the medication injections on myself but it was soooo much harder than I thought it was going to be! Now I'm on day 3 though and I feel like it's not so bad. It's just the initial weird feeling that you aren't supposed to be sticking yourself with needles! Hope all is going well with you all and your injections! I go to a follow up tomorrow to see how things are progressing!
  • Hi this is my first round of IVF and I am on day 4 on injections when we received the box both of us were overwhelmed and I thought about changing my mind, but I keep hoping for the best and it gets me through.  It really isnt too bad, my husband gives me the injections I dont think I can do it myself.  The menopur injection hurts but the follitism I barely feel besides a pinch.  Good Luck to everyone!
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It can be very overwhelming, but after a few days, I'm sure you'll be a pro at giving yourself injections. I felt the exact same way when I received my box. I agree with @MrsBwIVF that I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time I wanted to cry or became overwhelmed. The entire process is an emotional roller coaster, but you can do it. You've made it too far to give up. Good luck girl!