Baby Names

Emery?

amyjay23amyjay23 member
edited May 2015 in Baby Names
What do you think of Emery for a girl?  I know it's traditionally a boys name, but I've seen that it's really picking up popularity as a girl's name.  

Re: Emery?

• I don't like it for a boy or girl. Emery is what's used to file my nails. That's all I think of when I see this name. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I think it sounds very masculine and it makes me think of Emory boards for nail care. Sorry OP.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Loading the player...
  • Masculine only, and best screamo band ever.

Also, for a girl it makes me think of "engrish", and I feel like that could be an issue.
  • Honestly it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Yes it's masculine but it along with Emerson are being slapped on girls because OMG totes adorable to use Emmie.  Seriously I could live and never hear another Em or Ellie name.  

• I like Embry better :-)
  • bbiutmcph said:

I like Embry better :-)

No.  A made up name is never better.

English surname = not made up
  • I like Embry better :-)
    Most surnames should not be first names this is one of them, which is also derived from Emery. Even BTN only has it as a 'user submitted name"  There is zilch history of it being a first name and the only other use of the name is that Stephanie Meyer used it in twilight.  So yes it's bad.  

• bbiutmcph said:

Not made up. But still masculine.*

*damn you baby center for listing it as feminine and causing me to commit the main female character has a masculine name trope and having to come up with a plot point for why she has a masculine name.
  • bbiutmcph said:

awhitehorn said:

bbiutmcph said:

Most surnames should not be first names this is one of them, which is also derived from Emery. Even BTN only has it as a 'user submitted name"  There is zilch history of it being a first name and the only other use of the name is that Stephanie Meyer used it in twilight.  So yes it's bad.  

Well, I didn't say it was fantastic. I just said I liked it better, which I do. They are both in the same vein: surnames, bnog. Neither is my style, but sometimes I do like to offer an opinion other than "no, that sucks."
  • I gotta agree with some of the PPs, it reminds me of an Emory board that is used for nail care.
    NAF of it as a name for a human
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I think it's fine for a boy.
  • Not a good name. Masculine, surname, and reminds me of a nail file. You can do a lot better.
  • bad on boy
    horrid on girl
  • Not terrible but reminds me of Emory college...

I do disagree about surnames being used as first names. I love it. Both my boys go by surnames. Ds1 by my maiden name Boone (his first name is same as DH which is very traditional but he goes by his middle) and DS2 by grandmother in law maiden name Carter (though it's actually popular now which I didn't realize till too long after it was stuck)
  • I love Emery!
  • Emory is a wonderful boy's name. I'm biased - it was my grandfather's name who was a WW2 vet & hero in my book!
  • Surnames as first names is as bad as boy names on girls. Really Really bad
  • There are lot of surnames that I think are lovely, Kennedy, Harrison, Jackson, Sterling. Emery in particular does make me think of an emery board and I do think the E names are pretty overdone right now for girls.
  • I like Emerson for a boy but I don't love Emery. Best of luck.
  • LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

There are lot of surnames that I think are lovely, Kennedy, Harrison, Jackson, Sterling. Emery in particular does make me think of an emery board and I do think the E names are pretty overdone right now for girls.

Stop trying to make Sterling happen. It's not going to happen.
    Now now ladies, again with the harsh comments on this board. Just trying to offer some rarely used names as possible inspiration since there are a million other names that are repeatedly recommend over and over again and again on this board. I myself am checking into these conversations looking for something inspirational that I haven't thought of or seen mentioned already and there aren't many.sorry if a name you dont like angers you for some reason, just trying to help.
  • Two things. 

1. Emery is a first name. My nanny's husband was named Emery. So to me it's an old man's name. Not a fan. But is it a legitimate name? Yes. It is. 

2. Sterling is also a legitimate first name. But my parents, being trolls, decided if I had been born a boy, they would call me Sterling (my maiden name is "Silver") so that name leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

But that they're both first names in their own right, and historically recognized as such? Yes. 
  • Emery is legit, but I think I'd prefer the longer, Norman, version of Emmerich... with Emery as a nickname. FWIW, it does make me think of emery boards (i.e. nail files). 

Have you considered Ellery? This is derived from and English surname, not my style... but still a legit name, and in the same vein as Emery.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    There are lot of surnames that I think are lovely, Kennedy, Harrison, Jackson, Sterling. Emery in particular does make me think of an emery board and I do think the E names are pretty overdone right now for girls.
    Now now ladies, again with the harsh comments on this board. Just trying to offer some rarely used names as possible inspiration since there are a million other names that are repeatedly recommend over and over again and again on this board. I myself am checking into these conversations looking for something inspirational that I haven't thought of or seen mentioned already and there aren't many.sorry if a name you dont like angers you for some reason, just trying to help.
    Oh please. You have mentioned Sterling on every topic on this board, no matter what the OP asked. Also, Mean Girls quotes don't count as harsh comments or anger.
  • Thanks for all the posts everyone.  If I wasn't ready for both positive and negative feedback I wouldn't have posted.  I appreciate the insight!
  • LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

Oh please. You have mentioned Sterling on every topic on this board, no matter what the OP asked. Also, Mean Girls quotes don't count as harsh comments or anger.

I was referring to your words. Nobody is trying to make anything "happen" have you not see at least 20 other people recommend the exact same names over and over because they like them and think someone else might too? I don't see the point in trying to make someone feel badly for that. Whatever, off to prenatal yoga and hoping to find a little more zen than this conversation is providing.
  • theawc42theawc42 member
    edited May 2015
    I am gong against the masses. I don't like common names and I don't like names in the top 10. I like Emery and I plan on naming this one Emery LeeAnn if its a girl :)
  • theawc42 said:
    I am gong against the masses. I don't like common names and I don't like names in the top 10. I like Emery and I plan on naming this on Emery LeeAnn if its a girl :)
    Emery was actually rank 161 last year. It did not rank in the top 1000 before 2005. 

Leeann would actually be the less common option, as Leeann does not rank in the top 1000 and Leann is 977. 

Just trying to help you avoid something trendy and common.
  • @wassuphoes it does seem to be slowly getting more common but at least not a top name. I don't like Leann as a first name and the reasoning behind LeeAnn is my grandmothers middle name is Lee and my mothers middle is Ann
  • jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    I was referring to your words. Nobody is trying to make anything "happen" have you not see at least 20 other people recommend the exact same names over and over because they like them and think someone else might too? I don't see the point in trying to make someone feel badly for that. Whatever, off to prenatal yoga and hoping to find a little more zen than this conversation is providing.
    Yeah, but most of the time they are good names that we recommend, You have recommended Sterling for a girl, or voiced your love of this name, on multiple topics, so yes, GRETCHEN WIENERS, you are trying to make it happen. And I know your father, the inventor of Toaster Strudel, would probably not approve of you using a masculine name on a girl. Good luck with your zen.
  • theawc42 said:
    @wassuphoes it does seem to be slowly getting more common but at least not a top name. I don't like Leann as a first name and the reasoning behind LeeAnn is my grandmothers middle name is Lee and my mothers middle is Ann
    At least look at this, maybe something will grab you. https://nameberry.com/list/491/100-Classic-Girls-Names--below-the-Top-1000 I just, Emery is so similar to Emily it's not really different. And I would skip the capital A. It's just a paper work hassle. The sentiment is there with Leeann without paperwork headaches.
  • theawc42theawc42 member
    edited May 2015
    @wassuphoes I do like that link and the name explination it gives. Very helpful.
  • LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

LizWhiz87 said:

jsawicki said:

Yeah, but most of the time they are good names that we recommend, You have recommended Sterling for a girl, or voiced your love of this name, on multiple topics, so yes, GRETCHEN WIENERS, you are trying to make it happen. And I know your father, the inventor of Toaster Strudel, would probably not approve of you using a masculine name on a girl. Good luck with your zen.

Ok have no idea where you're taking this. This is all about opinions. Its your opinion that other names recommended are good. Just because the suggestion didn't rock anybody's world doesn't mean I can't say the names I like just like everyone else. Can we be don't with this now?thanks
  • jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    jsawicki said:
    Ok have no idea where you're taking this. This is all about opinions. Its your opinion that other names recommended are good. Just because the suggestion didn't rock anybody's world doesn't mean I can't say the names I like just like everyone else. Can we be don't with this now?thanks
    You can stop responding anytime you like. 
  • veckiaveckia member
    Huh, I didn't know that Emery is a boy name. I associate it with girls. It's nice. Kind of sounds like an edgier version of Emily to me.

I'm curious how many of these super strong name opinions are the effect of regional culture. I live in the northeast US and am in my late 20s.
  • veckia said:
    Huh, I didn't know that Emery is a boy name. I associate it with girls. It's nice. Kind of sounds like an edgier version of Emily to me.

I'm curious how many of these super strong name opinions are the effect of regional culture. I live in the northeast US and am in my late 20s.

Northeast, late 20's. Curious what you are trying to imply.

• veckiaveckia member

veckia said:

Whenever I read these nameing threads people want to know how the names come across to people. Like, do people think the name sounds good, what are their associations and such? It's really a great way to sort of test out a name as best you can before actually naming your kid.

It is just that people tend to give their opinions like they are universals and I don't always agree with them. It makes me wonder if it is based on regional or generational differences. Like, since I had never heard of Emery for a boy maybe that means that in the northeast it is generally used as a girl name, but maybe in the Midwest it is only used as a boy name. Just a hypothesis I'm interested in exploring. :-)
  • veckia said:
    veckia said:

Whenever I read these nameing threads people want to know how the names come across to people. Like, do people think the name sounds good, what are their associations and such? It's really a great way to sort of test out a name as best you can before actually naming your kid. It is just that people tend to give their opinions like they are universals and I don't always agree with them. It makes me wonder if it is based on regional or generational differences. Like, since I had never heard of Emery for a boy maybe that means that in the northeast it is generally used as a girl name, but maybe in the Midwest it is only used as a boy name. Just a hypothesis I'm interested in exploring. :-)
    Names are, in the end, personal preference. There are names that are "good names" (read:, legitimate, been around for along time, not made up or spelling changed for the hell of it) that I don't like. 

Emery is a surname. There are two schools of thought with surnames, 1 that they are technically genderless, being used as surnames by both sexes. (with the exception of those ending in -son, as that literally means, son of) and 2, that for the most part they will either go masculine or feminine, with the majority being masculine (Alma and Alba would be examples of surnames or names used as surnames that are feminine) 

Realistically, a lot of preferences come down more to socio-economic status, culture, and age. Red states are more likely to have weird names, because more people have kids at a younger age, and names like Cristal Lake sounds super cool to a 20 year old, and not so much to an older, more established couple, who are more likely to choose a more "traditional" name.

The other thing, most people naming their kids don't pay attention to numbers or trends. Lo and behold, Emery is being suggested as a unique and edgy alternative to Emily. It's not. Emery is rank 161 for girls, after first appearing in the top 1000 for the first time in 2005. Emery is the Ashley of this generation, along with Avery. In 10 years, this "unique" name will be joked about in the same way that Ashley and Jennifer is now. In 15 years, Emery will vanish off the top 1000 again, making this a timestamped name.