Breastfeeding
Options

Oversupply and gas pains

rae430rae430 member
edited May 2015 in Breastfeeding
I'm a FTM and my LO is 1 week 4 days old. My milk came in on day 2 and I've been dealing with serious oversupply. I've been told not to seriously pump for another two weeks since it will make things worse. Right now, I'm block nursing and LO isn't quite able to drain one breast in a single session. His latch is good and he's gaining weight quickly, but the amount of letdown is causing him to gulp massive amounts of air (that's when I'm not spraying him in the face by accident). He is miserable and gassy all the time and I can't seem to find a good way to make him feel better. Has anyone else been through this?

Re: Oversupply and gas pains

• Options
    Yes! I hear you mama, I was in the same situation with my first but didn't know what was going on. It is so frustrating to know you have milk, plenty of it, but the baby is still not comfortable.

When you feel your letdown can you unlatch and let it flow into a burp cloth? Then rematch and continue feeding? That was the most effective method for me at first. Also, you can try laidback nursing, or nursing in a reclined position and let gravity take over so your LO isn't getting so much, so fast. Keep block feeding and DO NOT touch your pump until the two of you are a little more comfortable. Block feeding can take a few weeks to work effectively.

I also used gripe water for LO when he was feeling yucky. You can try pedaling his legs and rubbing his belly counterclockwise too, he may spit up some, but it will help.

Keep up the good work mama!
  • Options
    I have oversupply, and I ditto reclining and letting your baby feed from a higher position.

I also find pumping an ounce or two before feeding works wonders. It clears out the high sugar milk and let's the fatty stuff be there for the little.
    BabyFetus Ticker