November 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else decide against genetic testing?

I'm 14 weeks and 3 days with my first pregnancy and my fiancé and I decided against genetic testing unless it was completely necessary or if the anatomy scan came back with something abnormal. I was told by my doctors that false positives occur quite often and that it was up to us. (We don't have any of the risk factors) My fiancé has two children from a previous marriage and was told that his first would have Down's syndrome (70% chance) and he was born perfectly healthy. I've also had a history of false abnormal PAP smears and was told I had precancerous cells on my cervix (after further testing I am fine and my PAP smears are all normal now). I just worry about receiving a false positive and being a wreck until the baby comes, I would rather just stay hopeful unless I am told other wise? Does anyone else feel this way?

Re: Anyone else decide against genetic testing?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad to know I am not alone, I had a friend that made me feel as if not precipitating in genetic testing was reckless and was a part of prenatal care. As if me deciding against it was like not providing prenatal care to this baby. I already love this baby so much and even if testing came back abnormal I know in my heart I wouldn't be able to terminate so what's the point.
  • Options
    We declined because neither of us had any history or risk factors, and I wanted to spare myself the anxiety of false positives and the risk of an amino or CV. If something comes up on the anatomy scan, we'll do the necessary tests, but it's better for my peace of mind to not go through the tests at this point. I absolutely understand those who want the tests, it's just not for me.
  • Options
    When my do dr talked to me about it with for my first she asked would you do anything differently if you knew something could be wrong with the baby? I was not going to terminate the pregnancy and there is not much else you can do besides worry, so we skipped it with both DS and this LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    anneof2anneof2 member
    I refuse testing with all my pregnancies, even though I am high risk. My doctor is not concerned that I turned it down. I will love my baby no matter what.
  • Options
    Yep turned down genetic testing for DD and this one
  • Options
    I wasn't going to because I didn't want to know if something was wrong because then I would worry the whole pregmancy. But finding out the sex so early really turned me on to it. Now I'm so glad I did it. Everything came back normal so far and we found out it's a boy. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I know there could still be things wrong but for now I have more of a peace of mind. And all it took was one vile of blood.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do an amnio though. Not something invasive.
  • Options
    My doctor offers a newer test that's over 99% accurate. We debated for a few weeks and eventually decided to go ahead and do it. I'm a worrier and a planner, so if something did come up as a possible issue we wanted to be able to be informed and prepare ourselves, especially if it were something that would have caused the baby to be not viable. We weren't high risk, but I'm still glad we did it and it's less for me to worry about.
  • Options
    Joyou5Joyou5 member
    We decided against it. Even if we were given a 100% guarantee of the results we wouldn't terminate. So why would I want to risk it? Also, I've been told by several people that the odds of causing a miscarriage with the amino testing is significantly higher than the odds your baby actually has a genetic issue. I think mainly two types of people do the testing: people who would terminate, and the anxious people who have to know everything asap.
  • Options
    We had the nuchal translucency scan, but declined further genetic testing since the measurements were normal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nope didnt see a reason to. If the baby has abnomalities i think it would change very little to know now vs later on
  • Options
    jholmberg85jholmberg85 member
    edited May 2015
    I had the ultrasound and bloodwork but denied any amnio or other invasive procedures as we would never abort a pregnancy for any reason. However, we wanted to be prepared if anything was abnormal. I'm glad I did this too because my PAPP levels are lower than normal, which can cause small babies and premature birth or stillbirth. Had I not known this I would not be getting the extra care in my third trimester that I would need to keep me informed on the progress of the little one.
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    We opted out, too.  The waiting and the potential for false positives would probably just cause extra worry and stress for naught.  We are going to love the baby no matter what.
  • Options
    We opted out as well. We already knew that we would not terminate the pregnancy so we didn't feel the need to test.
  • Options

We declined because neither of us had any history or risk factors, and I wanted to spare myself the anxiety of false positives and the risk of an amino or CV. If something comes up on the anatomy scan, we'll do the necessary tests, but it's better for my peace of mind to not go through the tests at this point. I absolutely understand those who want the tests, it's just not for me.

^^ agreed! I didn't want the extra stress of a test that really only gives you probabilities and is known for false positives.

• Options
    We opted out with our first (did the nt scan though) but chose to this time. We were advised because of twins and very close birth spacing we should do it "in case" my body was depleted of nutrients like folic acid which can cause neural tube defects. It will run $99 if insurance doesn't cover it. If we were lower risk I would chose not to again.
  • Options
    My DH and I are not doing the testing. Why go through the risk? What if we got a false positive and had to do further testing that can potentially harm our baby?
    No matter what, our baby is already so loved and we are so blessed to have him or her in our lives.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your input and opinions. I did not mean to upset or offend anyone with my question and I apologize if I did. Everyone has the right to make whatever decisions they feel are right for their unborn child.
  • Options
    My husband and I made the same decision for the same reasons..Decided it just wasn't worth it since everything looked ok..
  • Options
    maura+cmaura+c member
    ASalton1 said:

Thank you for all of your input and opinions. I did not mean to upset or offend anyone with my question and I apologize if I did. Everyone has the right to make whatever decisions they feel are right for their unborn child.

I just wanted to let you know that I truly am not upset about your post. It was just that particular person that put me into two unreasonable categories that made me comment. I think you have every reason to opt out of genetic testing. You are absolutely right when you say "you have the right to make whatever decision for your unborn child." Good luck with your baby!
  • Options
    We also have not done the testing for many reasons already listed.
  • Options
    We will not be getting any genetic testing done. Anatomy scan came back and all looked fine. Nothing wrong with getting it done just not a fan of how common false positives are and don't need any extra worry in my life! We will love baby no matter what!
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think its kind nice not to have the stress of waiting on results etc.. But I will say this with 1st I had amino it was horrible experience, it was 13 years ago things are different, but my decision to do it was all test came back 85% down syndrome. I wasn't going to terminate, but we read, take class etc to learn things before our babies are born. I wanted to be prepare. I would never do a amino again, but I stand by my decision with DS..
  • Options
    My hubby and I decided not to do it. We were told of the high chance of a false positive. Also, I was a little pissed that earlier on in the pregnancy, I was told the reason women get it done is so they can decide if they want to terminate if something's wrong. We will love this baby no matter what and it makes no difference to us. We also don't have risk factors, and I didn't want to be stressing out over a false positive
  • Options
    This is our third baby and we have never done genetic testing for many of the reasons listed above, but mainly because it would not change anything to me finding out in the first trimester vs. finding out at the anatomy scan. That still gives time for planning, preparation and special classes, if needed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KSabyanKSabyan member
    I'm 15 weeks and 4 days. I'm not doing that testing unless something comes up abnormal. I will love my child no matter what and I've heard of many false positives.
  • Options
    Nope. My MIL tried to scare me into testing with our first because my husband had an uncle with Downs...however, he was a late in life baby(she was over 40) and the only one in the immediate family for at least 4 generations. She quit pressing when I asked her what exactly she thought we would do? Did she want us to terminate her first grandchild? She also tried to talk the technician into telling her if we were having a boy or girl (we are team green with all of ours).
    However, I don't blame anyone for opting to do it. It is scary to think about either way.
  • Options
    My doctor didn't ask this time around oddly enough.  Her office took blood for glucose testing (they no longer just do a finger prick after the terrible tang) and filled up about 4 vials.  I asked what they needed all of the blood for and they said that some of it was for genetic testing.  I found it annoying they didn't ask first, but since I don't strongly object to it I didn't say anything.
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    VexyMommy said:
    My doctor didn't ask this time around oddly enough.  Her office took blood for glucose testing (they no longer just do a finger prick after the terrible tang) and filled up about 4 vials.  I asked what they needed all of the blood for and they said that some of it was for genetic testing.  I found it annoying they didn't ask first, but since I don't strongly object to it I didn't say anything.
    They took a bunch of blood at my first appointment, too.  I didn't ask what all they were testing for, but I know it wasn't for genetic testing because I was given the option (I declined).  I also know that it was not for glucose testing, because they had me come back later and do a finger poke after drinking the syrupy glucola.  One thing I do know that they tested for was thyroid levels, because mine came back high and they put me on medication for it.  They probably check iron levels, too, so they can advise properly in regards to nutrition and/or vitamins.
  • Options
    CEB37 said:
    My hubby and I decided not to do it. We were told of the high chance of a false positive. Also, I was a little pissed that earlier on in the pregnancy, I was told the reason women get it done is so they can decide if they want to terminate if something's wrong. We will love this baby no matter what and it makes no difference to us. We also don't have risk factors, and I didn't want to be stressing out over a false positive

Genetic screening does not produce a positive/negative test result, so there is no chance of a false positive.  The results are odds/percentages (i.e. 1:1000) based on certain markers. 

Further, most people get the testing so that they can be prepared and educated, have the proper medical personnel ready, etc., not to terminate their pregnancies.  However, there are certain conditions that are incompatible with life and unless you are standing in those parent's shoes, you have no place to judge (or be a "little pissed").  I can't imaging having to make such a difficult decision or judging anyone who does.

The Maternt21 test gives you positives or negatives......not odds or percentages. There are some tests that give you positive/negative results.