November 2015 Moms

any other mom work overnight?

Ive worked overnight for about 6 years now and im pretty well adjusted to it. Past week however my body seems to be forcing me to be awake during the day, when i should be sleeping. I fall asleep at work on my breaks and nights im off ill sleep at night even tho i try to stay awake. Just not sure what i can do to keep myself on my normal schedule.

Re: any other mom work overnight?

• I work 3am to noon. I've done it 7+ years and I'm used to it but this time around it's kicking my butt.

I would try some unisom. It's safe during pregnancy. I take it with vitamin B6 to help with morning sickness. It helps get me to sleep.
    I always find when summer starts it's harder to go to bed. It usually lasts a few weeks and then my body adjusts.
    I also got insomnia last pregnancy though and was a zombie for a while.

I also use a noise machine and dark out curtains to make it easier to sleep.
  • momaKaymomaKay member
    My room is the batcave! I have to have it datk to sleep. I was sleeping all day untill last week. Now i sleep a good 4 hrs then up until its time to go to work then i want to go back to sleep. Im going to try Tylenol PM today to see if it helps. My uper arms hurt so bad when i sleep now.
  • Loading the player...
  • My arms used to fall asleep last time. And hurt when I woke up. Hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will.
    My room is the same way. But I have a 3 year old. Luckily she goes to bed at the same time and just comes in bed with me so I don't have to worry about her. My husband works 3pm to midnight so we are both on crazy schedules.

Tylenol PM works well too. I used to take that and then switched to melatonin. If I'm really wound up I take a quarter of a dose of melatonin and it knocks me right out.
  • momaKaymomaKay member
    My husband works 6am to 4pm so im luckiy to have the house to myself. This is our first so i also don't have to worry about kids yet. Ive been thinking about going to day shift but its not worth getting hrs cut. I make more, and need my hrs lol
  • Yes I work 7p-7a. I'm like you, my body is trying so hard to revert to a normal schedule. Work has been grueling the last few weeks. Luckily I've been too busy to sit down. I have some phenergan left over that I was prescribed for morning sickness and it knocks me out, so I've been taking a quarter of one when I go to bed. Benadryl and unisom work well also. I bring a V8 energy with me and drink it around 0100. Keeps me going til morning. I work 3-4 days a week and the hardest part for me is flipping to being awake during the day when I'm off. I love my job but I'm a tiny bit jealous of 9-5 mamas. Grass is always greener I suppose ;)
  • momaKaymomaKay member
    Thats about the same hrs i wrk and i work 4 days a week. Today is one of my days off and i have so much to do that i have to screw my schedule up :( im going to try to hopefully be asleep by noon but i got alot of laundry lol.
  • Story of my life!! I work 7p-7a. I have been waking up more lately during the day when I used to sleep straight through. I think my problem is waking up to go to the bathroom now, and then my body is awake too much. I have no advice except hang in there!
  • I work 7p-7a and I have the opposite problem. I sleep fine (except for waking up to go to the bathroom) all day long....but I can't flip and sleep at night when I'm off. My body refuses to flip back when I'm off and I want to just sleep all day, and never get anything done.
  • urby87urby87 member
    I don't work overnights, but I do work a later-than-most shift: 3p-11p.  It's been pretty much torture.  I get home and I'm exhausted and my feet hurt, but I can't go to bed straightaway without winding down a bit.  So it's usually at least midnight by the time I get to bed, and then my husband is up at 7 or 8 getting ready for work.  I normally run fine on 7 hours of sleep, but it's been really difficult the past few months...