Parenting after 35
Options

A husband who snores...

edited May 2015 in Parenting after 35
Ughhh have to vent somewhere.
When I first met MH I was amazed - a dude who didn't snore!! My ex-H snored like crazy, but he was much older than me etc etc. So I thought Oh my I'm so blessed. Well not so much anymore. We've been together over 7 yrs and things have gone bad in that department and no nose strips will help.

I am pissed bc the last couple of nights I've been up because of him snoring MORE than I'd been up with the baby over the past months!!

Call us weird, but here's our setup right now. After C was born I decided to sleep in the nursery to be closer to her (couldn't run across the house after a csection) and so that he wouldn't get woken up all the time and be tired for work.
Then when she started sleeping longer I moved back into our room bc the daybed in the nursery was squeaky and uncomfy and was waking baby up, and I booted him into the guest room - for similar reasons. I didn't want him to be up 3+ times each night.

Well now she only eats 1x night and some nights could prob go without eating but i still go feed her if I see her eyes are open on the monitor around 4am bc I'm worried about my milk supply. And he now has started bringing up complaints about her not sleeping through the night still at 6mo and kind of wants me to be done pumping for her.

So then the last couple of nights he slept in our room bc our guest room was occupied and I SWEAR I was up more because of his snoring than I ever was because of the baby!!! So frustrating! Need to boot him out again. We went to bed around 10pm last night and by 11:25 (I checked the time on my phone) I had already been up 3x because of him. And it kept going and going all night. I'm SOOO exhausted this morning. And we're on vacay for the next 5 days and he will expect me to be cheerful and full of energy and romp around the mountains like nothing happened...

Anybody else dealing with snoring husbands? How do I fix him??

Re: A husband who snores...

• Options
    GuennieGuennie member
    My h wakes me up constantly, every night, mostly because he crowds me over to the edge of the bed and lets his leg crush down on me pushing me into the bed. It is so heavy when he's asleep and the weight hurts. I have tried to talk to him about it but he gets defensive. I have yet to figure out a solution. I rarely sleep well. As for snoring, he occasionally snores but not too bad. If it's bad I try to nudge him so he'll change positions slightly. It usually helps. Sorry- I feel your pain.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    See it is opposite for us. I am the snorer apparently. It was worse when I was pregnant.

But hubs does do his share of snoring. Half the time it sounds like whistling. He recently had a sleep study done and has to wear a sleep mask. It may be something your hubs needs to do.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My family is full of snorers. My dad has sleep apnea and wears a mask (which sounds like Darth Vader) but it's for his health but my mom can't sleep in the room with him so they are ok with that. There is also a surgery to fix it but my dad chose the mask. Does he stop breathing at any point while snoring? Does he fall asleep during the day or really tired? You might approach him out of concern for his health and ask that he visit the dr about it. It can effect the heart if not taken care of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Designermomma Thankfully my husbands mask doesn't make a sound. I don't even know he has it on.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @mandyreads That's awesome! What brand/kind is it? Maybe my dad could try out a new one and my parents could co-exist! He has a few CPAPs of some kind.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Designermomma Phillips System One is what it says on the machine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yeah he's not too proud or self conscious to talk about it or try help. He really feels bad for waking me up. Here's a hilarious story from a day ago - after he kept waking me the previous night he felt so bad that the next night his mind started playing tricks on him. He woke up at one point and started mumbling in his sleep, jumped out of bed and left and went to sleep in the guest room. In the morning when I asked him about this, he said he thought I kicked him out... Haha... Not at all. Must have had a dream about it.

And yeah he has a whole repertoire of snores, some plain old drunken snores or from laying on his back. But one kind sounds like progressively shorter and shorter breaths, then he stops breathing altogether for a few seconds and then wakes with a startle and the cycle repeats... But he wakes rested and all that so apparently it is not really interferig with anything. I don't know. I keep telling him to go talk to a doc about that bc it might get worse with time... We'll see.
  • Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member
    My hubs sleeps with a mask sue to Apnea.  I really don't hear his but I am so tired at night.  Lord do I hear it when he falls alseep before he puts it on though.  

I would suggest a sleep study for him sounds like he could use the mask as well.

Good Luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    All of the above, but for you in the meantime perhaps you can try a white noise machine in your room to help muffle the snoring? Just a thought.
  • Options
    Oh man, I feel your pain. I requested DH see a doctor about his snoring before we moved in together years ago. He has an enlarged uvula and something else in his throat. He could have surgery to shave it down as a last resort, but the doc suggested weight loss first. That's something DH has struggled with all his life, and he doesn't want surgery, so we tried things like several kinds of ear plugs, a couple kinds of mouthpieces that thrust the jaw forward, me going to sleep first, etc. nothing worked. The doc also suggested sewing a pocket on the back of a shirt and putting a tennis ball in it to prevent him from laying onhisback. Then after DD was born, between his snoring and her frequent nursing, I truly felt like I was losing my mind and kicked him out. After she started sleeping through the night we've tried sleeping together again but I just can't handle the snoring. And it's not just snoring - it's talking in his sleep, flinging arms and legs on me, grabbing me as part of a dream, and sleep walking. I swear he is the most active sleeping person I've ever met! He's sad we don't sleep together, and I wish things were different, but sleep is a necessity!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers