2nd Trimester
Options

Screening Test

I got the first trimester screening test and I'm getting the second next week. These test are to see about Down syndrome , etc. I've heard just the blood test has came back that something was wrong and then when people give birth the baby ends up perfectly fine. My question is should I even get the results knowing that it's not 100% accurate ?

Re: Screening Test

• Options
    I'm not in the medical field but I don't believe any test is 100% accurate. I'm 39, got pregnant at 38. I skipped the tests you're referring to, ultrasound at 20 weeks was perfectly normal. The doctor was able to tell from it that there's no sign of down syndrome, clef lip, etc.... I saw my OB last week and my daughters heart rate was 155, normal doc said and baby is very active. Try to keep a positive attitude, it makes a difference in you and baby. Good luck to you and your little one who I'm sure is as healthy as can be. Don't let these doctors scare you.
  • Options
    If you get higher than normal odds, they don't just wish you good luck and say "See you at the birth!" You will be offered diagnostic testing to see whether or not your baby had the condition.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a screening test, not a diagnostic test. The point is not tell you if your baby has Down Syndrome, for example, but if there is an increased risk. If you get a positive indication on a screening test, then you would would likely want to pursue further diagnostic testing.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member

It's a screening test, not a diagnostic test. The point is not tell you if your baby has Down Syndrome, for example, but if there is an increased risk. If you get a positive indication on a screening test, then you would would likely want to pursue further diagnostic testing.

All of this. You can't have a "positive" screening test...you can just be told you have higher than normal risk, which will lead to diagnostic testing with a high accuracy rate (amnio or something similar) if you want it.
  • Options
    Not sure how far along you are.. But I had IPS done and I regret it. The radiologist messed up my Nuchal Translucency measurement (told it was 5mm, was actually only 1.5mm) Flipped us both upside down for 2 weeks worrying sick over it..... For nothing.

If you would continue the pregnancy regardless of the outcome... I do NOT recommend it. And as you mentioned already... Just as there are such thing as false positives... There are ALSO, false negatives. It is not 100%.. And I know folks who have ended up on either end of that spectrum. If you are young (under 30) healthy, no major hereditary/genetic issues.. I'd pass as well.

Best of luck :)
  • Options
    Elysia21 said:
    Not sure how far along you are.. But I had IPS done and I regret it. The radiologist messed up my Nuchal Translucency measurement (told it was 5mm, was actually only 1.5mm) Flipped us both upside down for 2 weeks worrying sick over it..... For nothing. If you would continue the pregnancy regardless of the outcome... I do NOT recommend it. And as you mentioned already... Just as there are such thing as false positives... There are ALSO, false negatives. It is not 100%.. And I know folks who have ended up on either end of that spectrum. If you are young (under 30) healthy, no major hereditary/genetic issues.. I'd pass as well. Best of luck :)
    There are no positives OR negatives -- it's a SCREENING. And even if you would continue the pregnancy, there are special needs to be prepared for -- babies with Down Syndrome often have heart conditions, some even requiring surgery soon after birth. You wouldn't want to be prepared for that, make sure that your hospital has a NICU that can handle your baby's needs, research therapists during your pregnancy, fine childcare that can accommodate special needs, have extra time to save money for your child's needs? 
  • Options

I had mine done today and they said exactly this. They also said that Down Syndrome is not something they can check for on the anomaly scan at 20 weeks. If the screening test shows an increased risk, they will discuss this with you and ask if you wish to have further diagnostic testing. If this is the case, they will explain the chances of each possible scenario, including your chances of having a healthy baby.
    I recommend getting the results and discussing them with your doctors if necessary. Knowledge is power.
  • Options
    mag9812mag9812 member
    NoSugarCoating said: There are no positives OR negatives -- it's a SCREENING. And even if you would continue the pregnancy, there are special needs to be prepared for -- babies with Down Syndrome often have heart conditions, some even requiring surgery soon after birth. You wouldn't want to be prepared for that, make sure that your hospital has a NICU that can handle your baby's needs, research therapists during your pregnancy, fine childcare that can accommodate special needs, have extra time to save money for your child's needs? 

This. I am also a FTM, under 35, low-risk and my DH and I would continue the pregnancy regardless of what the screening results came back as but we wanted to be as prepared as possible if anything should come back at a higher risk. My insurance covered the testing so we did it and honestly, I'm glad we did. Thankfully everything came back within normal ranges and obviously it's not 100% but it put me at ease.

• Options
    I am also for the screening for the reasons mentioned above. Knowledge is power