TTC After a Loss
Options

"one NORMAL cycles" means what?

I have posted on here before but I suppose since this is my first question I should intro myself. My name is Kristie. I have 2 earth angels in blue and 2 angels in heaven, one boy and one girl. I will be 32 this year and hubby and I decided to was time to complete our family before we got much older so we decided to TTC. We got preg unbelievably fast, which was a major shock as I have always struggled to get pregnant, taking months and years to get pregnant with each of my previous pregnancies. Unfortunately, I we lost our little girl recently and I had a D&C on the 7th of this month. Though we a heartbroken by her loss, we are eager to TTC again (not getting any younger, who knows how long it will take to get preg again, etc.). This is of course assuming it is an option as we are awaiting chromosome analysis results on Hubby and I to see if our chromosomes caused our most recent loss and if so, waiting to learn what it means for future attempts prognosis.

Assuming our little girl just drew the short straw in the genetic lottery and that the flaw wasn't derived from Hubby and/or myself, I have a question, or actually more of a clarification request. I see my doc Tuesday, but he told me before we had to wait one "normal" cycle. My question is this: does "one normal cycle" mean A. Ovulation and menses after D&C, meaning we can TTC after next AF? or B. The remainder of this cycle AND another cycle after that, meaning I still have a minimum of 2 months (HCG still in my system according to HPTs) before we can TTC? Do any of you know? I will definitely be asking my OB next week but it is a question that keeps bugging me and I am hoping one you all can answer.  I looked online but everywhere it says to wait "X" normal cycles with no clarification on what *exactly* that means. TIA and ((HUGS)) to all for the losses you've suffered.
Kristie
Mom to 2 earth angels (2006,2010) and 2 angels in heaven (2009- 20w 5d; cause unknown, 2015- 7w4d; trisomy 22).
imageimage

Re: "one NORMAL cycles" means what?

• Options
    blandy3blandy3 member
    That's a really good question - I didn't even think of that! I was told the same thing and did try to clarify with my dr. From what I understood, she meant that we could TTC after my first AF since the D&C...she also said it could take 3 weeks to 3 months for my body to regulate and get AF back and that after 3 months if it's not back on its own, we would induce AF to reset my cycles (but this is something I had to do before my pregnancy periodically as well). Please post what you find out after your appointment. Good luck!
  • Options
    Will do. I also posted this question on the miscarriage/loss group in case no one here knew the answer and the ladies over there said that they were told that one normal cycle means they can TTC after their first PP AF. I still plan to ask my doc because I am high risk to begin with and don't wanna make that worse by TTC too soon.  Assuming TTC is an option for us I am hoping to get preg ASAP as I have read a study that shows that getting preg w/in 6 months of a loss tends to have better outcomes than waiting longer but with my history there is really no telling how long it will take. My most recent preg was a miracle in how quickly we got preg so I am not putting stock in it happening again :( I just wish our results would hurry up and come back so we know what is what and if TTC is even a viable option for us. But I will let you know what my OB says when I see him.
    Kristie
    Mom to 2 earth angels (2006,2010) and 2 angels in heaven (2009- 20w 5d; cause unknown, 2015- 7w4d; trisomy 22).
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @blandy3 My OB said we can begin TTC (pending genetic testing results in our case) after my first PP AF. He said it could take 4-8 weeks for the first PP AF to occur, but after that we have a green light.
    Kristie
    imageimage

• Options
    "One normal cycle" most definitely means option B. A normal cycle can only get started after the body has its recovery period after the loss, that initial recovery ends when a period is brought on by falling progesterone. Progesterone only rises after you have ovulated. So, you have a loss, hcg falls to zero or near zero, the body ovulates, progesterone rises and falls over the next two weeks, AF starts and that is CD1 of your first normal cycle. You go through the process again, and on CD1 of the next cycle, you are cleared to start TTC (barring an alarming genetics result).

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Options
    @MrsGargoyle I don't know how to "answer" questions, as in make them show up as "answered" but I saw my doc Tuesday. He said that what he meant (forgetting that I chart and therefore know when/if I ovulate is that my first PP AF should show between 4-8 weeks after my D&C (allowing ample time for healing) and after that we can TTC (assuming good outcome on testing which I should get back right at the 4 week mark). He says he has people wait until after their first AF just to give the body time to heal and if AF hasn't shown by 8 weeks I am to call and get a script to start AF, after which we can TTC. He said studies have shown that getting preg within 6 months of a loss tends toward better outcomes so he doesn't want us to wait any longer than we have to if we can in fact TTC. With my first loss AF showed on CD 32, and I ovulated that cycle. HPTs just recently started being BFNs  and I am CD 23 so it will be later this time, but hopefully around the 6-7 week mark as I hate inducing AF- those periods are miserable. I should know if I've ovulated by the 8 week mark. If I have then I'll wait. If not then I'll suck it up and call.
    Kristie
    imageimage

• Options
    Firstly just want to say sorry for you losses. 3 weeks ago I had a mc happened naturally but still needed a d&c to clear out the remaining things, but I was told the same try again after one normal cycle. He said after I get my first AF since d&c we can ttc. He never said though how long I'd have to wait for my first AF, I've had to educate myself by reading up on other ones experiences and have since read that AF could take 4 to 6weeks since d&c, so I've just been using pregnancy test strips to check if my hcg levels are gone and today got my first negative (that's 3 weeks after my D&C) so hoping it means I'll ovulate soon and AF. Although we are already trying again, so I'd rather see a bfp soon than AF.

I really do hope you get some positive news back from the dr's and hope nothing wrong with you or your husbands chromosomes :)