Toddlers: 24 Months+

Does your newborn wake your toddler up crying?

I am trying to figure out which bedroom to put my newborn in when she is born. If I put her in the room right next to the master, it is a much smaller room. If I put her in the larger room, she will be right next to my 2 year old. Will she wake her up then? She will be in the pack-n-play in our room for the first couple of months. 
Anniversary

Re: Does your newborn wake your toddler up crying?

• That is completely dependent on your 2 year old (how light a sleeper she is and whether she has a sleep regression when the baby is born) and how loud your newborn is. I'd just see how the first couple months go with her in your room first and decide after that. If you get a good sleeper who wakes gently and you have a 2 year old that sleeps like a rock, then go for the bigger room. If you have an up every 2 hours baby who wakes with a scream that could shatter glass and you have a 2 year old who wakes easy, then go for the smaller one.
  • nofrogsnofrogs member
    How common is sleep regression, when a toddler gets a sibling?
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Very from what I understand. I'm going to have my second in August and my DD will be 2 years 8 months. I'm expecting it. Sleep regressions are common with any kind of major stressful event (i.e. moving, divorce, death in the family, arrival of new little bundle of joy that all of a sudden deprives them of a lot of attention, cries frequently, and causes mommy and daddy's patience to shorten...). I think nap regressions are even more common than night-time, but night sleep regressions would still be considered completely normal. Google toddler sleep regression after new baby and you will get a lot of sites...
  • I have a 3 year old and a 7.5 month old and they have rooms right next to each other. I stressed just like you are doing now but they have never once woken each other up from crying. I have a box fan in the toddlers room which drowns out noise and a white noise machine in the baby's room.

And I haven't noticed any sort of sleep regression in my toddler. He's always been a great sleeper though.

• Very from what I understand. I'm going to have my second in August and my DD will be 2 years 8 months. I'm expecting it. Sleep regressions are common with any kind of major stressful event (i.e. moving, divorce, death in the family, arrival of new little bundle of joy that all of a sudden deprives them of a lot of attention, cries frequently, and causes mommy and daddy's patience to shorten...). I think nap regressions are even more common than night-time, but night sleep regressions would still be considered completely normal. Google toddler sleep regression after new baby and you will get a lot of sites...

Not common for us. Nothing changed with my toddler when the baby came. (He was 2.5 at the time).
  • We had a BIG sleep regression when our second son came. Its just worked itself out the past month. They do not wake each other up and they are 6 feet away. White nose is great! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD1 was almost 3 when DD2 was born.  Their rooms were right next to each other and DD2 was a shittty sleeper, but fortunately, DD1 slept like a rock so it didn't bother her one bit.  I do recommend a noise machine in both rooms though.  GL!
    Mom to two beautiful girls and forever labor buddy to the fab lady MandaPanda518!