April 2015 Moms

Jealous of their bond

kmtukmtu member
edited May 2015 in April 2015 Moms
my 3 week old son wouldn't take to breastfeeding, so the feeding via bottle was shared with me and husband. I thought this was great at the beginning, but now I can see a greater bond between them, than my son and I.
My husband was always better with children than myself, but I thought with our own it would be different. Am I nuts to feel jealous?
I've started distancing myself as if I'm not needed but realise this is crazy. I will have full care of our son in another 2 weeks.

Re: Jealous of their bond

• edited May 2015
    I think it's normal and typical to feel competition with your partner over the baby. I also get irritated with my husband over stupid stuff...all those weird post-partum hormones.

If it's any encouragement, things will probably shift in two weeks when it's just you and baby all day. Also, you may find it to be helpful that your husband has bonded so well...my husband bonded faster with my son than I did and he's great at coming home after a day of work and giving me a break. I really appreciate that he's so involved and that we are parenting together as a team.
  • As a second time mom I can tell you that preference for one parent will only become more prominent. Try not to let it bother you. My 3 year old always wants daddy to do things with him over mommy if he can. At first I got jealous but it's very normal. Now I try to enjoy how much he and daddy are best friends. Not all kids have such a great bond with their father. You are very lucky to have a husband who is so involved. When your hubby has the baby try to take time to do things for yourself. You will always be mommy:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Ican see where you might be jealous, but as pp said be thankful LO and daddy have a great bond:) and look at it as a chance to get some time for mommy in while they're doing their thing for a little bit