December 2014 Moms

Small living quarters?

Is anyone else dealing with small living quarters? We live in a 1br/1bath 800 sq ft apt. I'm really struggling with night time. DH gets up at 6:45 for work. DS is 20 weeks and still gets up around 3 (btw 2:30-3:30) and 6 (btw 4:00-6:00) every night. His crib is in our bedroom. I feel like I'm really struggling to get him to sleep through to 6 because of this. If he had his own room I could soothe and comfort him in his crib. Since his crib is in our room I have to get him out and take him to the living room to rock him. This also is tuff on me because it fully wakes me up and I can't get back to sleep. Last night DS got a little warm (I think) and woke up at 12:30. I had to take him out in the living room to soothe him. Letting him whine or cry a little isn't an option. Even in the living room DH can hear if LO makes noise. During the day it's easy. When he gets tired I just put him in his crib, he whines a little then sleepy time. I've considered cleaning out our walk in closet and putting his crib in there but then I wouldn't have that storage for or clothes. I've considered moving him into the living room but then we wouldn't be able to relax after LO goes to bed. Also any suggestions on toys/walkers/exersaucers that don't take up a ton of space? We have a doorway jumper. I hope some other moms have some advice. I'm really fretting our situation for the future.

Re: Small living quarters?

• edited May 2015
    Can DH sleep in the living room?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel your pain. In live in Japan and everything here is much smaller than America's standard spaces and we have a 1 bedroom, a living/dining room, and a tatami room (traditional Japanese room used for family shrines). Though we have the tatami room we use it for our desk/closet area which basically means there is little room to use it for anything else. My SO wakes up around 5 every morning and works until 9-10pm so I understand having a husband with hard hours while room sharing with a baby.

We just came to an understanding that LO is a baby and the crying and stuff can't be helped considering our circumstances. If it's really bad, my SO will sleep in the living room on a Japanese futon. The only way for it to work is either just deal with it or move to a different room if your husband needs sleep.

As for toys and walkers and such...we have no room either for LO to have such things. Yes he has small toys but big bulky things just don't work for us. I've had to go primitive and use myself as a bouncer and just work with my LO myself by holding him and letting him stand and bounce.

I really do feel your pain here and wish I had more advice to give. Good luck!