November 2015 Moms
Options

UTI and Antibiotics

I ended up in the ER on Saturday with severe abdominal cramping and back cramping and after throwing up for 2 hours, went to the hospital.  They said I have a really bad UTI and prescribed me Keflex.  I also was told two weeks ago I had a UTI but the culture didn't grow anything (which is good because I was on a macrobid and was so sick from it - so I stopped taking it).  This time, I'm nervous to take this other antibiotic because I don't want to be sick again!  Has anyone had Keflex before?  I'm not worried about if it's safe or not, I know it is, and I trust my doctor.  I just don't want to feel crappy on it because I know I still have 5 days left!!  When will pregnancy be fun?!?!?!  :)

Re: UTI and Antibiotics

• Options
    If I'm not mistaken Keflex is one of the last line of defense antibiotics.  Please don't skip part of the dose even if it makes you feel like crap.  If you've had this issue for a while and been prescribed progressively more aggressive antibiotics that you only take some of, it could be a big problem.  That's how antibiotic resistant strains are born and that's really really not something you want at any time, let alone with a baby on board. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    cfenleycfenley member
    I won't stop taking it (and wouldn't without consulting my doctor first), I just am wondering if other's have been prescribed it and if they had any sickness side effects with it.  But I really appreciate your help!  It's good to know regardless!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I myself ended up in the ER Monday and I was told I had a UTI. I was prescribed amoxicillin 3 times a day until they are all gone. I am 13 weeks along. I even got an ultrasound which to my liking my little peach was okay.
  • Options
    I've never taken Keflex, but I was just prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection. Just be sure to take it with food, because you're less likely to feel crappy with a full stomach. Hang in there!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had to take Keflex last time I had a UTI and it made me feel kinda sick but I didn't care because I felt so much better after words..it's well worth it and just eat small things like crackers or try pudding..it usually helps when your stomach hurts..
  • Options
    I too had a UTI and took macrobid. I couldn't keep anything down with it and kept getting sick. The dr. Said that could happen and just stop taking it if it made me sick.
  • Options
    Has any one been prescribed metronidazole ??
  • Options
    I was prescribed keflex 3 weeks ago for an uti, took it for 5 days, I am allergic to penicillin so I got a wonderful itchy rash on my hands feets and arms but the uti was more important. Did not make me sick, baby is doing great.