Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to get baby to sleep in crib again !!

I'm a FT mother and I really need advice ! I sorta kind of got my 6 week old use to sleeping with me in my bed , and I've come to regret that decision ! He seems to hate his crib now ! He will sleep in my bed , the play pen , and his mamaroo , but fusses to sleep in his crib. I try to put him to sleep before I put him in the crib , but he will just wake back up !!! He use to have no problem sleeping in it before !! So my question is , what can I do to get him use to his crib again ?!

Re: How to get baby to sleep in crib again !!

• You might not. It could be his temperament. Neither of my kids slept in a crib. They just wouldn't do it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Not many 6 week old babies like sleeping in a crib so you aren't alone. My daughter slept in a rock 'n' play for the first 4 months and when I moved her to the crib she was still swaddled because she couldn't roll yet but I think that helped with the transition.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks you guys ! I thought maybe it was my fault but he just started to have a harder time falling asleep in his crib and i just started to put him in my bed ! I hope he'll start to like his crib soon , I'm just going to try putting him in it during the day and then hopefully he'll gradually get used to it .
  • My son only just started sleeping in his crib at night and he's 11 weeks old. He still won't for nap times. He'll cluster feed in the evening then I can lay him down either asleep or drowsy in his crib and he'll sleep for his longest stretch. I don't know what really changed because I tried all the time when he was younger and he wouldn't have any of it, he had to be with me. He's still like that for naps but I am finally getting more sleep
  • tabithar93tabithar93 member
    edited May 2015
    Yeah I think that's my sons problem, he only wants to be with me !! I left for a few hours once , and he stayed with his dad and he just wouldn't fall asleep . He likes sleeping next to me or on my chest . But I put him in his crib twice today and he woke up but I held his little hand for a few and he went right to sleep. Hopefully he grows out of this not sleeping in his crib thing like your son has . Thank you btw , I thought I was like the only one having this trouble !
  • MykaKMykaK member
    edited May 2015
    My three-week old is doing the same thing. Last week, she'd sleep 2, 3, or even 4 hours at a time in her crib. She always falls asleep while nursing, and this week when I put her down after nursing, she'll sleep maybe 20 minutes, tops, before waking up, inconsolable unless she's picked up. She only sleeps on me or in her carseat after a car ride.
    We've tried everything we can think of: inclining the mattress (to help with reflux), warming the mattress with a rice bag before putting her in, putting an unwashed t-shirt of mine under her, white noise. Nothing has worked so far. I think/hope it's a phase.
    We started a bedtime routine yesterday, although it will take a while for her to get at all used to it. I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow, just for some peace if mind.
  • I had the same problem. When DD was about 3 weeks I wanted to really start putting her to sleep in the crib. Before that she would only sleep in our arms. It's great, but man, I was NOT sleeping. Her crib is in our bedroom so she hears us and we can respond to her needs. I've found that putting her in the crib while drowsy but not asleep then either gently talking to her or patting her back helps her fall asleep. She always wakes up if we transfer her while asleep. Good luck!
  • BuckyCBuckyC member
    I took the crib sheet and "wore it" for 24 hours to get my scent on it.
  • Wanting to be with you is not "a problem". It's completely developmentally appropriate, ladies.

Yes sleep deprivation is super sucky. I get it. I've been there twice. However, it's not "abnormal" & doesn't make your kid "bad". It makes them an average infant.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers