Multiples
Options

Breastfeeding

anyone have any tips to share for the beginning? When did you start pumping? I'm hoping to do both from the beginning but mainly nurse. Wasn't sure how the logistics should work as far as pumping when they are done nursing to increase supply? I breastfed my son successfully and for some reason I'm a nervous wreck about doing it with the twins as far as having a high enough supply and what not.

Re: Breastfeeding

• Options
    I think it kinda depends on how long you can keep 'em cooking. I had 34-weekers and the doctors said they probably wouldn't latch well until 35+ weeks. So I pumped starting the day I gave birth and continue to do so. I breastfed them at 35 weeks but the NICU made me also give them a bottle for the same feeding to make sure they got enough. Double whammy. Now I mainly pump and give them bottles. I had a ton of milk when I pumped 8x per day but I decreased to 5 or 6x when we got home from NICU (not enough time in the day to do 8 bottle feedings for each baby and pump every time). The decrease in frequency decreased my supply though. I'm sure full-term twins are a whole different ballgame.