March 2015 Moms
Options

Naps

maybe this is normal, but being a first time mum I really don't know... My baby is a great night sleeper, goes down between 9 and 10 and wakes up around 5-6, he's 9 weeks old. When he is awake during the day, after an hour or so I try putting him for a nap, as soon as he looks tired, but it is such a lengthy process resulting in a meltdown. Every time. Followed by a ten minute nap if that. This makes for a very exhausting day... Now I just feel like a terrible mother that can't get her baby to sleep. He has reflux and is on medication but since the reflux showed up the only way I can get him to sleep for more than ten minutes is in his swing. I hate to do that but sometimes I need to get things done and he really needs sleep! Any ideas to make this easier?

Re: Naps

• Options
    Unfortunately I don't have any ideas... My son fights sleep during the day too. With my 3 year old being in preschool, baby will sometimes get cat-naps in the car to and from school... But at home it's challenging to get more than a 45 min nap out of him! I usually swaddle him when he is sleepy and that helps him fall asleep but like you said, it's not for very long once I lay him flat. We do let him nap in the swing sometimes and my toddler and I play quietly nearby so I can keep an eye on him.
    Very rarely he will let me wrap him up in the Moby Wrap and will nap in the carrier, but it doesn't work as often as I'd like
    Good luck to you! And no, you are not a bad mommy! You are doing great!
  • Options
    adelemsadelems member
    edited May 2015
    I'm struggling too. I can get a fifty minute nap pretty easy out of him but he wakes up as soon as he hits that mark and is crying and screaming with his eyes closed not ready to wake up. And if I get him up he's cranky. :(

Most of the time (except today lol), if I put his paci back in and Hold his hand he will eventually fall back asleep. I usually pick two naps (at the same time every day) to work hard to get to be longer ones and then the rest of the day I don't worry too much. My only advice is routine. If the baby starts building up an internal clock that starts expecting a nap at a particular time you might have an easier time getting him to stay asleep
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LcastoLcasto member
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to let him nap in his swing right now if he likes it. It's really hard to establish a routine this early because he's still trying to get used to the day to day.. And so are you! When my son is ready for his first nap after waking up for the day, he goes in his swing and will get a good nap in usually. At least an hour or so.. Don't feel bad about what you need to do to get both him some sleep and you some sanity during the day. You will constantly wonder if you're doing the right thing, but you will be a pro before too long and realize that the stressing about doing it the "perfect way" is unnecessary! Because there is no perfect way..
  • Options
    KD32412KD32412 member
    The ergo always works for me. Baby goes in the ergo, sister goes in her stroller, after a few minutes walking, baby knocks out.
  • Options
    sarah0989sarah0989 member
    edited May 2015
    I'm having the same issue! Glad I'm not alone. He's almost 11 weeks and he sleeps fine at night but naps are a struggle. I guess it could be because he's young and still figuring it all out. He's in daycare and the crazy thing is, he takes more naps there and for longer periods of time. Lol! And as for the swing, I say let them nap in whatever works. :)
  • Options
    Baby wearing, I wrap my little one to me and she will sleep 2-3 hours on me. It's totally worth it for her to get the rest and for me to get things done. I also like the comfort of the skin to skin and closeness. She and I both love to snuggle, so I enjoy wearing her. :)
  • Options
    adelemsadelems member
    I would totally be okay with baby wearing , tried it today. Even shorter nap. 30 minutes , ugh. He isn't fond of being strapped down to anything. Me, the car seat, a swaddle .. Wants to be free!! Lol
  • Options
    My SIL has a seven moth old and a two and a half year old and has reassured me that daytime sleep is much more challenging than nighttime sleep when it comes to establishing schedules. My LO is eight weeks now and last week was the first time I felt like I had a handle on her naps. I really don't mind if she takes a morning nap (about an hour) in her swing or wherever, but we had consistently been taking a walk at about noon and she falls asleep in the stroller for an hour. Then around 3 pm, she seemed to want to go to sleep again. I had tried earlier naps, but for us, 3 pm was the magic time! A bit of rocking, nursing to get her well fed, and a consistent environment (crib with bedroom light on and music playing), and now she usually sleeps for over two hours. Not sure if we just have a champion napper (which is quite possible) or if it's anything I did (I'm doubtful), but that is what seemed to work. Consistency seemed to help a lot. And if she would cry, I would rock her back to sleep and put her back in her crib. Hope you find a routine that works for you!
  • Options
    Okay I feel a little better. I find lately I put him in the swing in the evening because I'm so worn out but then he sleeps hard and I have a hard time getting him up before bed. I have a wrap and a carrier but he won't... He HATES the straps in the car seat... I want to baby wear so bad but he hates it. I think I will start making him do it even if he hates it. He will get used to it maybe.....
  • Options
    I think it's hard to establish a routine at this age. Mine rarely naps in her bed. Most of the time she naps in the car b/c I'm shuttling her older sisters around and if we're home I just stick her in her swing.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Update: My LO did not nap at all in her crib today, probably because of a hectic day yesterday at my husband's grandfather's funeral! I hold to consistency being important, but it is nice that we can also use tools like swings and bouncer seats to help if needed (like today).
  • Options
    nalefnalef member
    My LO sleeps great in her crib at night but will only sleep on me, my husband, or a grandma during the day. The minute you put her down in anything (crib, rnp, swing, bouncer), her eyes pop open and she's cranky and won't go back to sleep. She also sleeps good in the Moby with me, but I return to work on Monday. Unfortunately that means her grandmas who will take care of her won't get a break. I don't know how to get her to nap on her own, since trying it derails the rest of the day.