April 2015 Moms

Home alone troubles

tried to find a previous post for this but nothing fit....
I haven't been out in 3 days and all I wanted to do was pack (5 weeks old) baby up and venture out to get a cup of coffee and maybe a grocery trip if we could manage and it's taken me 2 hours to get myself and her dressed and now I need to pump again and she won't stop crying! I finally put her in the swing with a pacifier and she fussed the whole time and now I'm so tired from "getting ready" all I want to do is take a nap!
When does this get easier, I'm very much the extrovert and I think being cooped up is taking a toll on my outlook (not being selfish I love my baby and every second with her but we've reached a fussy spot and it seems like I'm up all night soothing or feeding her and then spend the day by myself doing the same, I just want to take her out for a bit and both of us get some fresh air.)

Re: Home alone troubles

• What I have to do with all three children is start getting ready to go slowly when Im not actually getting ready. Like if Im leaving at 12:00 I get LO dressed when we wake up and I feed her. Then feed the older 2 and have them get dressed. Ill let the kids play while baby naps and Ill get dressed. When baby wakes up ill feed her again. Then get her in her car seat. Finish up last minute needs. Like packing diaper bag, which i usually always have stocked and in the car. Then grab and go. It takes forever but its slower and more relaxed.
  • I was going to say this too. I have two and we start getting ready slowly. Unless you need to be somewhere by x, there is no need to rush. Plus, the more you get out with the baby the easier it will be.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's hard at first, but the best thing to do is be prepared. I keep the diaper bag stocked at all times with at least 3 extra outfits and 5 diapers. I keep the stroller in the car a lot. My DH feeds, changes, and calms DD while I shower and brush my teeth. I cut my hair short so I don't have to style it and I don't wear makeup anyway. A Moby wrap might be an excellent investment for you if you're on your own (or even if the father is involved). It allows you to be hands free and keep LO calm at the same time. It gets easier with practice.
  • My first time out was quite the event. Between a bottom blow out and a hungry fit, I sure had my hands full!! I could have done it alone, but a mommy friend offered to help my first time out and she really was key. In my delirium I needed her advice for things like how to secure the car seat with the grocery cart... Can someone come give you a hand for the first trip?
  • I find that planning the night before helps me be more calm the day of. I make sure bags are packed and ready to go and consider the schedule. I also have an almost 3yr old and 18mo old, with a 2 week old. Late mornings (10a) are normally good for us. It gets easier the more you do it. Here's hoping your next attempt is easier for you!
  • DS1 is 3yrs old DS2 is a month old.. I personally start off with the diaper bag and snacks for toddler once that's done I get ready, then I get the outfits ready for both the toddler and the baby... feed/burp baby make sure his diaper is clean get the toddler dressed and go!....but I recommend you start venturing out close to your house maybe a walk to the park then the grocery store and then bigger outings but know you'll never be truly prepared for diaper blowouts :p

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

imageimage

• Wow... I feel like I was the one writing your post when I read it... It was like looking thru my day... Exactly the way I feel.. Is good to know we are not alone and our feelings are totally normal. My husband took the baby yesterday and give me a day to relax by myself.. Today I am going to venture out with him (5 weeks old)... Wish me luck!!! Good luck to you too!!! :)
  • I'm scared to death of going to public places with her! Between wet/dirty diapers and feedings alone, I'm not sure how I could manage. The most we do by ourselves is a long walk in the stroller. We'll get there!
  • What a relief to get on here and see that I'm not alone with my feelings and struggles. I've gone out with my 5 week old but just sitting with him and the dog all day long most days is frustrating and exhausting... Earlier I was five seconds away from just sticking him in the car seat and taking a drive to calm us both down!!
  • RSupryRSupry member
    I have an 18 month old and a one month old. We have been out several times now and it takes a while to get ready. I find that if I don't make it out before lunch time I can't get out unless I have an appt. Today I wanted to go to the store but I waited too long then it was lunch time, then nap time, now I'm feeding LO2 a bottle and if I go out now I'll hit traffic coming home and won't be able to get dinner started on time. It is a bit frustrating sometimes but it is important to get out every once in a while to avoid going nuts.
  • I have a 7 week old baby and I still have trouble making it out of the house unless I prepare slowly! It definitely is a hassle sometimes and frustrating but getting out of the house is so worth it! I love my baby and spending time with him but I don't really like being cooped up in the house and I miss being around adults sometimes LOL
  • My little guy is almost 3 weeks old and he absolutely HATES being in his car seat :( he cries the entire time so I'm finding it really difficult to go anywhere because I can't stand hearing him cry and not being able to do anything about it.
  • Caileybug said:

My little guy is almost 3 weeks old and he absolutely HATES being in his car seat :( he cries the entire time so I'm finding it really difficult to go anywhere because I can't stand hearing him cry and not being able to do anything about it.

A friend of mine had this problem. She started putting her son in the car seat even when they were just sitting at home. For a few days he cried, but he slowly got used to it. I used this method for transitioning my daughter from the bassinet to the crib and it worked.
  • It is really hard to leave the house, I have a 1 month old and we've had several outings now-walks, trips to target, grandparents houses (none alone yet, always w husband or family). But it's always a game of Beat the Clock since he eats every two hours and it takes so long to just get in the car! I start prepping after the feeding prior so that the second he's done eating after the next one we can go. Fortunately the car makes him sleep, as does being pushed in the shopping cart so we've been fortunate. My issue has been that he and I have had Thrush for several weeks. Putting on a shirt feels like hell for me. Nipple pads (in case I leak while out!) are so flat and painful pushing my nipples down, and anything touching them feels like I have a colony if fire ants on my breasts. It's awful. So many times we were ready to go but I tried to get dressed and just cried in pain and had to bail. Makes me feel like a prisoner in my house, and is not a good mental state, we need the freedom and fresh air. Mines slowly getting bearable, I hope you can find a way to get out too.
  • rmosca2rmosca2 member
    Can you find a moms group? La Leche league, babywearing, new moms group through a hospital, baby "story time" at a library, MOMS Club chapter? Those were lifesavers for me w my first. They are a safe space to go, just get there somehow and then if baby cries or poops or needs to nurse it's fine. Much less scary than going to a store. Bonus - you can get help and tips for being a mommy and you often meet other frazzled new moms who are also looking for friends and commiseration.
  • also feeding shouldn't keep you from going out! I have fed my little one at the book store and target and out on a hike just bring a scarf of Blaket to cover if you don't want your boob out
  • @ccaudill0107 I agree that feeding shouldn't keep someone from going out. But sometimes it is very hard to cover! I tend to go back to my car and just turn on the AC and nurse in there. I am a 36G and it is extremely difficult to cover and nurse my son. I don't feel comfortable doing it in public because I almost always end up having part of my breast showing as I'm trying to uncover my boob or hold it so he can latch.
  • I started going out with my 2 month old son alone when he was 3 weeks old because like you I was getting stir crazy. I found that if i feed him, then change his diaper then I put him in a bouncer in the bathroom with me when I shower and bring that same bouncer in the bedroom while I get dressed and then in the living room while I eat breakfast this will work until he is hungry again. Then I feed him again and change his diaper and then I leave. The key for me is feeding him right before I leave the house because then I know I have a good hour or two before he is hungry again. I also have the diaper bag ready to go and my method of how im going to leave already set up. So either the stroller is already in the car and diaper bag is ready or sometimes I bring him out in the baby K'Tan etc. If im out and about and he gets fussy feeding him usually works so I bring a bottle with me and feed him if im out for a while and then he is ok again. Once he is fed I know I once again have about an hour or two again until the fussiness is back. Now I'm not breastfeeding anymore because due to some health issues I wasn't getting enough Breast milk and had to supplement with formula and now I don't get Breast milk at all so it's all formula which does make it easier when running around to give a bottle. But when I was breastfeeding it's the same idea I would try to plan a feeding when out in a place I felt comfortable feeding either in the car or in a public place I could find a private spot but that's just me personally. You can still make t work regardless and whatever the situation is. I am just someone who can't sit still so grtting out was important to me. Sometimes I go shopping to babies r us or run errands and sometimes im out just taking a walk or getting a cup of coffee. I go back to work in Sept and im dreading it i LOVE being home with my little love! Good luck to you
  • Malls typically have nursing rooms in the family restroom. :) so if you just want to go somewhere to walk around and are uncomfortable feeding in public that's an alternative.
  • It's so hard! I got so frustrated when this happened the first few weeks cause I was used to doing what I wanted when I wanted and was so stir crazy sitting on the couch. Quite frankly when you can't handle it anymore, just strap little one in the carseat or stroller and go out anyway even if you aren't in "pristine" condition. Sometimes I just needed to get out of the house so much that I would go un-showered and even forgot to brush my teeth a couple of times (Gross but you gotta survive those early weeks somehow). 

For showers, I wait until she's sleepy after a feed and then put her in her carseat and take it into the bathroom with me. Most of the time she'll sleep long enough for me to shower and I can keep an eye on her that way too through the shower glass. Also, sometimes showering while my husband is still home before work helps a lot too because then I can get ready while he takes her right after she eats in the morning.

BabyFruit Ticker