Parenting after 35

Weekly Check-In 5/17

How was your week?

QOTW: Summer is almost here. Do you like the season? Do you have any special plans for the summer?

Re: Weekly Check-In 5/17

• My week was horrible. It started when DS was home sick on Monday and tuesday. Then I had to take him to the dentist on wednesday for his very first visit. Just as I thought life would get back to normal, DD started a growth spurt on Thursday and was at the boob every hour for 3 days. Plus DS had some napping issues all weekend. In summary, he pooped himself awake for pretty much every nap this weekend. The result was a toddler who slept enough that I couldn't get him back to sleep, but didn't sleep enough to actually be rested.

I should answer to "how was your week" with "horrible" by default. 2 kids under 2, that is all. I'll change my answer if the week isn't a total sh*tshow. However, one of my major goals over maternity leave is to learn to appreciate the fleeting moments, like watching my son blow dandelions in the yard, or my daughter smiling at me while she's nursing. I am getting better about noticing those. it's just hard between yelling at the toddler for smacking the baby in the face, and cleaning up newborn diaper blowouts.

Summer: I love summer. I lived in Florida for awhile and didn't miss the other seasons at all. Now I'm back in the Midwest and BLAH. I hope to get the family to the pool, the splash park, the zoo, etc. No other special plans except not taking off work because I used up vacation time for maternity leave

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• You have me reconsidering having more kids @mattandlora!

My week wasn't too bad. Going out is getting less and less stressful as DS grows. He's still fussy about pacifiers. He's still deciding about the latest one, number 5. I don't get it because he'll take the occasional bottle.

(@mandyreads, did you try the Soothie before the Wubbanub? The lady at the store told us the pacifier part is the same. DS makes a face with the Soothie then spits it out.)

I have been a bit moody though. I guess the hormonal stuff just comes with the territory of being female. If it's not menstrual cycles, it's pregnancy, postpartum stuff, or menopause. You'd think I'd know how to deal with it by now.

TMI warning: The biggest news of the week is that DS has been using the toilet/potty some of the time, as silly as it sounds for a two month old. It's too soon to tell, but I think the messes at the changing table are going down.

QOTW: Summers aren't very pleasant in Houston between the heat and humidity. So, I'm not really looking forward to it. I'd like to do a weekend road trip once DH's work situation is settled, and if DS is amenable to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • @NeonNoon - we started my son on the soothie. He liked tolerated it. Then we added the nuk silicone pacifier and he loved it, wouldn't take anything else. He'll be 2 in a few weeks and we have to figure out how to take them away. Here is the 0-6 month size:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006VJM7AA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1431948242&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=nuk+silicon&dpPl=1&dpID=41vgx4FrldL&ref=plSrch

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• @mattandlora I remember those days. Don't miss them but I remember them.

@NeonNoon‌ yes, same paci. Some kids just don't like them. 2 out of my 4 didn't take them.

My week last week was ok. I don't remember much. Payton got her 4mth shots. So we spent a lot of time in bed cuddling and taking naps. Got hubs an appt to get fixed next month. I was going to bc ins covers me 100%. But my docter said it is easier on the man.

Summer? Ugh. Once it gets unbearably hot I don't leave the house. Maybe we will get the girls a pool this year. And when I say girls I mean me. ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Hi, I'm new to this board.  I currently have a 6 1/2 year old and we're trying for #2.

My week seemed very long.  Today is my Friday, so I'm ready to be off tomorrow.  This week my big combat has been to explain to my dd that she is too young to be kissing boys (lol- really, I have to worry about this now, I thought I had a few years.)  She tells me she knows no kissing on the lips 'til she's a teenager (I tried to tell her maybe later then that), but she figures it's okay to be kissing on the shoulder, cheek (both where she was receiving) and on the ear (where she was giving).  Now that I talk to her about it, she thinks she's funny and will do it just to get a rise out of me.  She did make me and my folks proud when they took her to church (I work on Sundays) and she found money in her pocketbook, and chose on her own to put it in the donation plate.  She's such a giving child, we lucked out with her.

Summer- I like it, I like Spring and Fall more.  I love being out side and enjoying the longer days.  I could do without the humidity (NJ) that take the fun out of the sun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks @mandyreads and @mattandlora .. He's ok with the Soothie today, let's see how long that lasts.

Welcome @bublesmiled :) Sounds tricky with your DD, good luck! And FX for TTC
  • Geeps2Geeps2 member
    Ohhhh bublesmiled I too live in NJ :) Welcome!

I feel like the eternal wet blanket because my weeks for a while have been for SQ#$R#$.  This time of year for my job is a nightmare so it just comes with the turf.  I am so busy it isn't even funny.  I should be writing a report right now but instead I am here on the Bump.  I just hate some of the parents I have to deal with lately. They just suck.  I am counting down the days till my summer break.  

I LOVE summer because it means no work till September.  I get time with my babies and swimming in the pool and just having fun with my family. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Welcome to the board @bublesmiled :) FX for you TTC!

Sorry to hear about your week @mattandlora - makes me nervous wanting a second baby so soon. We were thinking about starting for second as early as December!

Hope summer gets here quickly @Geeps2!

Time has blurred together over the past few weeks, I can't really remember what happens week to week! Some days Sebastian sleeps well and he's a happy little guy, other days he's awake every 2-3 hours (overnight) and he cries/seems cranky all day. I don't know if I could be doing something different/better or if that's just how babies are. We are still tired and would love more sleep! We took our first long trip to visit family 3 hours away, Bash did pretty well, I think it was overwhelming for him! We did a family photo shoot this past weekend and it went quite well Sebastian put up with the outfit changes and being flashed at very well for a 2 month old! I can't wait to see all the photos! Here's a teaser photo the photographer sent.

QOTW: I don't like summer very much because of the heat & humidity. I love the water, but burn badly in the sun, even when slathered in sun block! I thought for sure my baby would be translucent! My favorite season is Autumn, I love the changing color of the leaves and cool air. I don't mind winter if it doesn't stay too cold! It's fun to have a snow every once in a while.
    ----
    ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015
  • I am so late to this but here goes. We spent most of last week in GA on a work scouting trip and while it was nice and all I am relieved to report that we are NOT going to be relocating. I wasn't super excited about that and MH kind of came around to my POV. And then he got a really good offer from one of the jobs in town and in the process got really excited about working for that company, so it is all working out fine. We'll be here for at least another 3 years, hopefully longer.
    Other than that - C got a new helmet on Monday before the trip. Such a weird situation... I kept bringing up a concern about the design of her original helmet and our lead therapist there finally went back to the design team and they changed it for us. Since this is my 2nd child with a helmet I kind of know what to look for and from the beginning it sounded like our lady was agreeing with me... They claim this wasn't wasted time (4weeks in the original band) and obv didn't ruin anything, but IMO it wasn't as effective as the new one. I wish they would have given us this new design to begin with...i think i can already see a difference after just one week...now we'll have to wear it additional several weeks...oh well...can't go back in time.

Summer: used to be my fave season, still is in a way, but I am so deathly afraid of bees, wasps and and any stinging insects that being here in the South AND with small kids I can't fully enjoy it... I think I like cooler seasons more now.