Multiples

Mo/Mo, Mo/Di, Di/Di

What do you guys think from my U/S pictures?

I have not actually seen the doctor yet for my first OB appointment. I see him on Tuesday almost 12 weeks which I think is crazy. The ultrasound tech says she thinks identical but said she can't tell for sure until 12 weeks. She has showed the doctor on duty both of my ultrasounds after I had them first one at 5w5d for viability and 2nd one 7w5d for heartbeats. Doctor also thinks identical but has never said Mo/Mo, Mo/Di or Di/Di.

Re: Mo/Mo, Mo/Di, Di/Di

• rue:Drue:D member
    Those look like my early scans and my doc is pretty sure mine are mo/di and identical. Until he saw the membrane separating them at 11w he was concerned they could be mo/mo but they are not.
  • kcloyalkcloyal member
    Mine were the same way. It took some work to see the membrane. Mine are mo/di as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • yani04yani04 member
    Same for me, mine are mo/di. It took two ultrasounds to find out there was one placenta and a membrane.
  • mine are mo/di and identical. but the membrane seperating them is super thin so i have to see the MFM dr in a few weeks just to check.
  • Mine are identical too (mo/di). The membrane was very clear from week 8. How did your appointment go?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • New to the world of twins. How do you tell/what is the difference for all of these possible combinations? We just found out twins at 19 weeks at our anatomy scan, and the tech said she couldn't tell.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ultrasounds will be able to tell,..there are basically 3 types:
    fraternal (two placentas and two sacs) This is the least high risk of the 3
    Identical: 1.) two sacs, one placenta 2.) one sac and one placenta. This type is the most high risk
    Fraternal twin boys born 1/12/12 at 36 weeks
    Identical twin girls expected in March! 
  • @1krazykitty my twins are in separate sacs with separate placentas, but the doctor said they won't know for sure if they're identical or fraternal. Apparently it's super rare, but possible for the egg to split really early in the pregnancy and create 2 sacs & placentas. I still think mine are probably fraternal because fraternal twins run in my family, buuuuut I did have a very early ultrasound to follow up on a cyst and the doctor only saw one sac.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • @1krazykitty thank you! I asked the tech, but she wasn't very helpful about answering twin type questions. She just told us that the babies were too big for her to really tell, though she said she thought she saw a membrane between them. She didn't say anything about one or two placentas. I plan to ask my doctor about it on Tuesday when we see her.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @1krazykitty my twins are in separate sacs with separate placentas, but the doctor said they won't know for sure if they're identical or fraternal. Apparently it's super rare, but possible for the egg to split really early in the pregnancy and create 2 sacs & placentas. I still think mine are probably fraternal because fraternal twins run in my family, buuuuut I did have a very early ultrasound to follow up on a cyst and the doctor only saw one sac.

It's not actually as rare as you think to have identical Di/Di twins! It's about 20-25% of di/dis End up identical! Mine did :)

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker