April 2014 Moms

Teeth Brushing

So how is everyone brushing their little ones teeth? I have been using a little finger tooth brush or wash cloth. Do you use a regular tooth brush? Twice a day? When do you start to use tooth paste?

Re: Teeth Brushing

• We use a regular toothbrush with a small dab of toothpaste just at night. I was just wondering if I should start doing it in the morning too. Glad you asked :)
  • Dd LOVES brushing her teeth. We use a regular brush. Once in the morning with just water, and once at night with a tiny but of regular tooth paste.

Just recently they change the recommendation from not using floride on children under 2, to using regular toothpaste as soon as they have a tooth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Talltrees82Talltrees82 member
    edited May 2015
    We just brush teeth with a baby toothbrush and water in the evening before bed. I really should do it in the morning too.

It's a bit of a struggle; at first he was fine with it but now he fights it. I either do it while he's in the bath, or right after while he's wrapped up in a towel. How are you ladies doing it?
  • We just brush at night too, with some baby tooth gel. I just found a three-sided "brush" made my nuk that seems to be doing a little better job. But he fights me like crazy--he just wants to chew and suck on the toothbrush, so I really struggle to get his teeth sufficiently brushed.
  • kmos816kmos816 member
    We just use water with her baby tooth brush at night and sometimes in the morning.

If you use toothpaste do you have them rinse too somehow? Not sure how that would work!
  • We use a baby toothpaste that says it's ok if swallowed. I think it's flouride free. We just use like less than a pea size amount, so he doesn't get much anyway. It's enough trouble getting those things brushed...I don't even think about rinsing.
  • Our pediatrician said to use a "rice size" amount of fluoride toothpaste. She also recommended putting a fluoride gel on her ASAP, to be done at their office or at the dentist. Sorry, but I'm not taking my 13 m/o to the dentist. I haven't taken my 2 y/o yet and I'm not sweating it. I brush her teeth in the bath every night and then let her play with it.
  • I brush them at night with just water. DD loves it...I brush them and then let her play with the toothbrush for a little bit.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• So much conflicting advice. Who knows? I actually took DS to the dentist at about 10 months. I took my 3 year old and they kind of guilted me into the baby. I don't think I'll take him back for a while though since we don't have insurance for now. Their advice was either a real baby toothbrush or a wash cloth; not one of those rubber ones. She said the rubber ones don't clean properly (that's what I was using). She said brush twice a day with just water. She also told me to floss where there is contact. He has only two teeth that contact and honestly I haven't bothered. I have just finally got the evening brushing to be a habit and now will implement a morning brushing. Baby steps...
  • Whoa. Floss a baby's teeth?! I can't even imagine how I would do that. Except maybe with those little pre-strung things? Hm...
  • Whoa. Floss a baby's teeth?! I can't even imagine how I would do that. Except maybe with those little pre-strung things? Hm...

Yeah - they gave us a few of those flossers. It seems so wasteful to me though! I do one tiny floss between two teeth and then toss it!