April 2015 Moms
Options

Middle of the night and wide awake!

pab128pab128 member
edited May 2015 in April 2015 Moms
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
My little guy is 3 wks old rt now and night time of course has been up and down. But lately, at least the last 3-4 nights, he wakes up for his midnight feeding, and then he's WIDE AWAKE for at least 2-3 hours! I have no idea what t do to change this. He gets really upset with me because I'm trying to put him back to sleep and just ends up crying and crying and crying. I've tried it all, feeding him more, making sure his diaper is clean, getting all his gas bubbles out. I have no idea what to do. It's like his fussy "period" is at 1am! My SO usually does the 4 am feeding bc he's at work during the early part of the night. Makes it very difficult for mommy. He goes right to sleep after that feeding.

Re: Middle of the night and wide awake!

• Options
    What do you do during the day? We try, unless our LO is flipping out, to not swaddle him and do more "awake" things during the day. I will wake him up to eat in the day if I think he's gone a little long, but not at night. At night, it's all business: quiet, darker, nothing exciting and I'll sometimes nurse laying down on my side. He typically goes right back to sleep. But...maybe that's just how your LO sleeps for now, if you're already doing those things...
  • Options
    My little girl does that occasionally I just lay her in my lap and tub her belly or put her on my chest and she falls asleep most the time
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    5s's (dr Harvey karp) or a baby wearing wrap may help?
  • Options
    Could your baby be a colicky baby?
  • Options
    Your baby may have day and night mixed up, try and keep baby up more today and get baby outside or near the natural light for a bit, establish a different routine for day and nighttime, good luck!
  • Options
    I had this exact same problem. Now I keep baby up from about 7-10 pm. When it's time to go to bed I give him a bath with Lavender scented baby wash and then I give him an infant massage. He goes right to sleep after that. Problem solved.
  • Options
    BBS!BBS! member
    This is me. I tried it all. She refuses to wake up today and just cries bc she is tired. I think it's just going to take time.
  • Options
    My pediatrician suggested giving my LO an 'air bath' while theyre asleep during the day. Unswaddle and let some fresh air hit his skin. Keep the room bright, do as much as you can outside and make plenty of noise. It seems to have worked help my daughter distinguish day from night... hope it helps you!