December 2014 Moms
Options

I need a drink

well, not really but I'd love a glass or two of wine. Does anyone have the scientific facts about what happens when a breastfeeding mom drinks? Like how long does it take to get into the milk? Does it ? Will it make my LOvdrunk?!
I mean I know they do it in Italy and France, but I haven't had a drink in over a year and I really want one. But not if it will effect my LO. Thoughts?

Re: I need a drink

• Options
    ELT88ELT88 member
    Me: 28, DH: 31
    Married since 3/10/12
    DD Born 12/15/14
    DS Born 5/31/16

• Options
    skbaum01skbaum01 member
    edited May 2015
    What I do is feed LO then have a drink. He won't need to eat for another 3 hours and by that time, my body has metabolized the alcohol.

But here is some information from La Leche League that includes research from the American Academy of Pediatrics: https://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html

One drink per day is not considered to be harmful to baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ArwmrtArwmrt member
    Drink away. They published a recent study saying that your body burns it off before its ever turned into breastmilk. That your child actually gets more fermentation from fruit juice than they would get from your tits. :p
  • Options
    diz1313diz1313 member
    If you're super paranoid they sell test strips to test breastmilk for alchohol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Nurse practitioner and lactation consultant both told me it was fine and no reason to worry. Abstain from getting tipsy but it's perfectly ok to enjoy a few cocktails.