High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Just diagnosed with MTHFR

hello ladies. I am new to this board, so forgive me. :) I recently (September 2014 and February 2015) had two Miscarriages ... One was around 6 weeks and one around 8-9. It was devastating but my husband and I pulled through with a ton of support. I again got pregnant last month, but it turned out to be a chemical pregnancy. I actually probably would have never known I was pregnant, except I was testing early and every day (Dr.s orders) to catch it ASAP due to previous m/c's. I recently did lab work and imaging, and all came back negative, except for MTHFR. I have friends who know women who also have this and have had m/c's along with happy healthy babies. I was prescribed progesterone after my second m/c and just started taking it 2 days ago in case we conceived this cycle... I am 5dpo. I was worried about getting the diagnosis of MTHFR (got the call today) that if I conceived this cycle that I won't be able to carry it to term. It is obviously too early for me to test and i go into my Dr.'s Monday for answers... But along with wanting to share my story, I am wondering if any of you have this syndrome and if/when you were diagnosed and what treatments did your dr prescribe. I am just trying to prepare myself for possibilities and praying that IF I did conceive this cycle, that something can be done to make it work.
Sorry about my novel :) thank you for reading and for any advice given.
Married July 2014
Husband JD, 26yrs old
Me, 27yrs old
TTC baby #1
TTC history: 
Aug 2014- miscarriage
Feb 2015- miscarriage

Re: Just diagnosed with MTHFR

• Options
    My sister has it and has had four completely uncomplicated pregnancies. Don't give up hope.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My sister has it as well and had 2 wonderful pregnancies. She did need Lovenox injections twice a day and Heparin toward the end. However, she had no other medications and carried both to term. Hang in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! Keeping my hopes up:)
    Married July 2014
    Husband JD, 26yrs old
    Me, 27yrs old
    TTC baby #1
    TTC history: 
    Aug 2014- miscarriage
    Feb 2015- miscarriage

• Options
    I have it and PAI-1. I'm on lovenox, more so for the PAI-1, and extra folic acid.

I have a DS before I found out about my diagnosis and I'm almost 38 weeks now. I've had quite a few miscarriages but once we upped my folic acid and started the blood thinners, Ive had one ectopic and this current pregnancy.

Good luck!
    04/2008 Biochemical
    03/2009 DS
    09/2013 Ectopic - MTX
    1/2014 Biochemical
    07/2014 Ectopic
    09/2014 Final injectible/IUI cycle prior to saving for IVF. BFP!!! 
    14 DPO: 179
    17 DPO: 547
    21 DPO: 2,180.70
    10/9/14 We have a heartbeat!!!!!
    Due June 5th!

• Options
    What matters is which gene is mutated and if it's heterozygous(one copy) or homozygous (two copies)- more severe. The dr should be able to tell you this. One kind affects blood clotting and the other affects folic acid absorption. I am compound heterozygous- means I have one bad copy of two genes. I'm pregnant now and have seen two mfm (high risk OB) who told me point blank the medical journals have rescinded the value they have placed in MTHFR diagnosis unless it is homozygous (two bad copies of same gene) meaning it has more of an impact. I've done so much reading and this dr showed me the actual journals and their recommendations. There is now no different course of action or proof that folic acid or lovenox is recommended for one bad copy and that is per ACOG (American College of Gynecology) a leading medical journal.

That said, I see your on progesterone. That's a whole different animal. Do you have low levels of progesterone? I had low levels as well and have Luteul phase defect. That was much more likely the cause of my miscarriages. I was diagnosed and put on clomid to ovulate a better quality egg and progesterone to carry and voila! First try on meds and I'm 24 weeks now.

If you have questions pm me. There is so much out there and it's so overwhelming. My reproductive endocrinologist had me on folgard (folic acid prescription strength) and lovenox. My first appt after pregnancy the mfm told me to go off both immediately bc they were unnecessary. His exact words were "those REs like to do a lot of voodoo to make ppl believe they are doing something to get pregnant". I researched for myself and chose to go with his recommendation to go off (disclaimer- if I had ever had a blood clotting symptom in my life I could have stayed on lovenox but with out personal history the guideline now is to not prescribe).

Hope this helps! I was in a tail spin when I was diagnosed. I'd be more interested in your prescription for progesterone over MTHFR.
  • Options
    Wanted to add. My first pregnancy I had no idea I had compound heterozygous MTHFR and she is a healthy 2.5 yr old. :)
  • Options
    One more thing bc your story really hits home to me- early miscarriages- 6 weeks and chemical pregnancies/blighted ovums are most likely chromosomal and not related to MTHFR. MTHFR would affect in one type- neural tube defects from folic acid which you would find later or a blood clot which is a later term loss. Just wanted to ease your mind a bit. My dr explained to me how MTHFR could contribute to recurrent loss (which is why they even still test for it) but those are later losses and only if you have homozygous copies. My RE explained early losses could also be caused by low quality eggs/low progesterone caused by Luteul phase defect which is categorized by low estrogen and low progesterone.
  • Options
    I have it and they put me on rx folic acid. Aside from that, that's all they did and I'm 22 weeks this time! I'm no expert, but you're welcome to reach out with questions or concerns. ☺

Plainjane19792001@gmail.com