April 2014 Moms

Anybody doing much baby wearing these days?

i really want to start wearing LO more since we'll be out and about more this summer and I get tired of the stroller all the time because I can't see how he is responding to things. I use my ergo and ring sling, but want to venture into the world of woven wraps and would love any recommendations!

Re: Anybody doing much baby wearing these days?

• kmos816kmos816 member
    I was actually wondering the same thing yesterday- I haven't done much baby wearing over the winter but am looking forward to doing it over the summer again! I would love to do a woven wrap but am scared to see my husbands face when I say I want a new baby carrier as I already have like 4 lol!
  • Ive thought about it too... but since I have done virtually NO baby wearing yet, I don't know how DD will take to it

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Loading the player...
  • I'm planning to attend the meeting of my local chapter of baby wearing international next week in hopes of doing more info gathering. LO is so squirmy, that the ring sling is getting tricky. So I'm hoping maybe a woven will help with that since it seems like you can get a lot more support and coverage. Hoping that, at the meeting, maybe some mamas will let me experiment with their wraps or a loaner or something. I'll report back!
  • kmos816kmos816 member

Ive thought about it too... but since I have done virtually NO baby wearing yet, I don't know how DD will take to it

You can start with wearing her for 10 min at a time or so... That's what I did last year when i started. It helps both of you get more comfortable!

I am most comfortable with the ergo- and now my dd likes to be worn on my back; though I think I'm going to try front carry more with her to see if she's ok with it again now that she's taller. I'm still too chicken to back carry without someone there to help.

I love baby wearing- I wouldn't have stopped but it was tough in the winter!
  • I just use the ergo now. Back or front depending here we are going
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • LolaX2LolaX2 member
    DD is small (just 18 lbs 12 oz) and I still put her in my K'Tan. she enjoys the front facing out position. She is not walking yet and likes to be able to look at everything and be involved when out walking around. I am actually bringing it tonight to put her in as we are going a huge mall and dinner for DH's birthday and it will be so much easier than pushing a stroller around!
  • ksulliksulli member
    I have a Moby and need to figure out a good toddler carry. I wore her all the time until maybe 3 or 4 months ago. Now that we're on the go again I miss it, but at 23lbs it's a different ballgame.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I wore LO last summer, but he's 27lbs now... My poor back! I'll just use the stroller, and I have an osprey pack for when we go hiking. I did love my ergo, though! Well worth the money.
  • I put her in the ergo on my back for quick outings with all 3 kids. Sometimes I even put my 2 year old on sometimes, but he only weighs 26lbs.
  • We use a Stokke carrier, and I just started trying to carry him on my back. It's hard when my husband isn't home to help though... We need to practice more!
    Carolyn (33) & Steve (33) Married 1/28/12 DS 4/16/14 BFP 9/13/15~Due 5/20/16
  • I think I've officially become obsessed! We're using our ergo a lot, but I also bought a woven wrap and am excited to learn to use it. We did take one long walk in it, but I want to learn back carries. And, I just bought a ring tai--super excited to play with that. And I browse the baby wearing on a budget FB group all the time. There are just so many options and so many of them are pretty!
  • I just bought a new Tula ring sling bc I lost my Sakura bloom :((
    I love it!
  • That is gorgeous!
  • Thank you! I seriously had to buy it. I was planning on buying something from the consignment section. I hid the receipt from my husband. Haha!!
  • Yeah! This stuff is not cheap! But it's so beautiful and practical too. I refer to carriers as my tools to help it make sense to DH. Sometimes you need a wrench, sometimes you need a drill. ;)
  • @emilyann64 beautiful wrap! I love your LO's expression :)
  • Thank you! It is totally practical @Sporty1216. You don't wanna sit in the shopping cart anymore, here get in this cozy place!
    @Talltrees82 I think she was so happy to be in there after I had lost my other one! And it could also be that she saw a cute baby in the camera on my phone. Haha!
  • I've been working on making my own ring sling from linen tonight. I have, so far, hemmed it so the wrong side of the hem will show (oops) and dyed it more narrowly than I intended because I used too shallow a container and didn't think to just lower it in (oops). I still think it'll turn out pretty, but I'm not sure it's saving me enough money or bringing me enough enjoyment to do it again! There's definitely something to be said for paying a little more to get the thing already made! I'm a sucker for trying to diy stuff though. There's always some satisfaction there. :)
  • I agree it's fun to make your own stuff. Can't wait to see a picture of it!