Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Weight Gain

My son is 16 months and weighs only about 23-24 pounds. I am really concerned about his weight as he barely gained 1lb from his 12 to 15 month checkup. Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat more and pick up weight? Maybe I am overly concerned . . . . Sighhhhh

Re: Weight Gain

• My 16 mo. old is 24lbs. I'm not concerned and the dr said he's average weight. He's so active now he's burning off a little weight. DS eats great and drinks lots if whole milk (20 oz a day). If he doesn't look too skinny, sluggish, has plenty of dirty and wet diapers I see no need to worry.

If he seems too skinny to you, try different foods and see what he likes and feed him lots of it. DS loves zucchini bread, and fruity muffins, meatballs, chicken nuggets, yogurt melts, gharam crackers, cheese crackers, pizza etc. so I give him 3 snacks throughout the day in addition to meals. Mine is a hungry little guy but sometimes he just wants to get a snack to feed the dog because he thinks it's funny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your dr isn't concerned you should be either. Weight gain slows down a lot after the first year. Try and keep in mind the average weight of a 3 year old is 30 lbs! Try and relax ;) he won't let himself starve. Just keep offering new foods to expand his pallet.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 23 month old weighs 23lb. Neither the pedi nor I am concerned. He goes nonstop all day.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Babies weight gain slows down quite a bit. I wouldn't worry especially where it sounds like you are getting regular care :)
  • My son is 24 lbs as well and almost 16months, not concerned, either is Dr.
  • My son is 16 months and weighs only about 23-24 pounds. I am really concerned about his weight as he barely gained 1lb from his 12 to 15 month checkup. Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat more and pick up weight? Maybe I am overly concerned . . . . Sighhhhh

These posts worry me because you are purposely trying to make your LO gain weight, and gain weight quickly which is not a good thing, especially if your Pedi isn't concerned.

Ask a doctor, not a chat board.

• krae771krae771 member

I think your child's weight seems fine and I wouldn't worry about it, particularly as growth dramatically slows after 1 year.

My DS has been tiny since he was 9 months old, at one point completely falling off the growth charts in both height and weight.  He was exclusively breast fed and also ate pretty well.  However, he had some other issues (including milk allergy) and at ~14 months we met w/ a pediatric dietician who recommended increasing fat in his diet.  He drinks hemp milk, which has a similar amount of fat to dairy milk.  I also make him a breakfast smoothie every AM that had 1.5 tsp of olive oil, 1/2 cooked egg, and avocado (plus fruits and greens), offer him a lot of nut butters, and do other small things such as adding chia seeds or flaxseed to his applesauce or avocado to his potatoes.  At his last 18 month check up, he was still tiny but had been growing at faster than average and jumped up some in the growth charts in both H/W, so it seems to be working.   We avoid (almost) all sweets and fried foods.  If you want to increase calories, try to do it in healthy ways and not just by offering junk food to get him to eat more.