January 2015 Moms

Leaving baby with family member

ErloneErlone member
edited May 2015 in January 2015 Moms
I'm a first time mom and currently working. My baby girl stays with my sister in law while I work. Sometimes I become overwhelmed and sentimental because I feel like my baby will rather be with her instead of mom because even when I'm home, my SIL sticks around and wants the baby's attention. :( I don't have family here where I live so I feel even more alone. I want to avoid conflict with my hubby's family because they are important to him, but I also don't want to feel left out of my baby's decision making. Any of you gals have experience in this department?

Re: Leaving baby with family member

• Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    I think you might be reading more into it than you realize. LO's at this age really don't prefer anyone over another. They just want the attention! :) 

Does you SIL have children of her own? Maybe you can politely say, "I bet your kids miss you" or if she doesn't have children, "I'm so glad to be home, but I'd like to spend quality time with her. Thank you for all your help today." 

Something that will get the idea across that you want alone time with YOUR baby because you missed her so much. Which is true!  Hope it works out. :)
  • Sounds like you need to let her know that when you get home, it's time for her to leave. I work full time as well, and when I get home, I just want to relax and enjoy a minute with my kids without anyone else hanging around, so I totally feel you on that. Also, around this age, they do start to recognize people, so just remember, that baby will always know "Mommy" over everyone else, I pick up my daughter, and she gives me the biggest smiles, and hugs my face and sucks on my cheek (like a kiss), and she doesn't do that to anyone else.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers