August 2014 Moms

Did your baby act differently during the day while sleep training?

Hi! My DD is 9 months old. We rock her to sleep every night and when she wakes in the middle of the night she ends up in the co-sleeper in our bedroom. We tried the Ferber method of sleep training (baby cries it out but we check in her at increasing intervals until she falls asleep). First night she cried 30 mins before sleeping. Second night only 5 minutes. But after that she started crying a little longer each night. What really concerned me was that during the day she wasn't herself anymore; less smiling, less laughing, less talking, more fussy and clingy. The change got worse each day. So we ended up giving up on the 5th night because the crying had increase back up to 20 mins and was much louder than before and because the drastic change in her personality caused me anxiety. I was afraid the sleep training would change her personality permanently. Anyone else have a similar experience but eventually had success sleep training?

Re: Did your baby act differently during the day while sleep training?

• Your little one may be acting a little different during the day bc they might be tired from not getting a full nights rest. Are they teething? This might be another reason why they are waking up at night. That's all I can think of. My LO is also 9 months and he still wakes up during the middle of the night sometimes.... It's a hit or miss :(. At the end of the day go with your gut feeling.
  • I say follow your LO. Children aren't born with manuals. Not everything you read will match with your child. My LO will soon be 9 months and after using the crib and trying to sleep train him. I realized he was not ready. He's a much happier baby now that we co-sleep.