Breastfeeding
Options

Anyone simple able to NOT breastfeed?

I feel like I have done everything to up my supply, yet still am not getting enough to feed my child. It has made me so emotional and honestly, I feel like a failure as a mother. I understand that my worth as a mother is not based on my ability to breastfeed but it really has me feeling awful.

I have tried Fenugreek, Mothers milk tea, Reglan, exclusively pumping for a few days, exclusively breastfeeding for a few days. Regardless, I still have to give my daughter formula after each feeding.

I honestly feel like at this point, I should just give up. Im not sure its worth it any more.

Re: Anyone simple able to NOT breastfeed?

• Options
    I'm guessing you've already tried this, but pumping around 2am for several nights in a row got me through some dry spells with my dd.

Also, some great advice I received when struggling with supply/latch issues was to just give it one more day, every time you feel like giving up, just try one more day and see what happens. Either it will help and you'll continue or you'll decide it's not working, but regardless of the outcome know that you tried and that's what matters. Every ounce you've been able to give your baby makes them healthier than they would be if you hadn't tried at all. Good luck :)
  • Options
    To mirror what PP said, take advantage of the night time. With DS1 at around 10 months my supply had tanked. We went out of town for Thanksgiving weekend and I co-slept with DS and let him nurse whenever he wanted at night. From that one weekend my supply shot back up. Hang in there. You are definitely not a failure.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What happened when you exclusively breastfed for 2 days? Did the baby still have wet/dirty diapers? I am going through the same issue and my lactation consultant told me to try breastfeeding for a day or two. I'm praying this works. Pumping will never produce the same results as a baby sucking. Reading through the site below has helped me a lot too. Good luck mama!

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/
  • Options
    I was EBF from birth for 2 days and she ended up losing too much weight. Looking back, I wish I wouldn't have allowed then to supplement her because now that I have some milk in, I feel like I would be able to feed her better if EBF but I'm too worried about her weight.
  • Options
    You should get in contact with your local La Leche League or lactation consultant, it sounds like you need some guidance or game plan on how to up your supply and get baby back to EBF. Establishing a good supply right off the bat would certainly have helped but it's not the end of a great breastfeeding relationship if you don't want it to be.
  • Options
    Thank you! I have recently contacted the local LLL and they have been great. We have been unable to meet up but I will be going to their support group next week. I really need to up my supply but realize it may take time. I would love to stop giving her formula.
  • Options
    Jenny33Jenny33 member
    My lactation consultant would advise to skip the pump, skip the formula, just nurse and nurse and nurse and nurse some more... And trust your body. You probably are making enough to feed your LO
  • Options
    @Jenny33 I would love to but I literally would be breastfeeding 24/7 then
  • Options
    She doesn't latch well and I really don't think she gets much
  • Options
    I agree with @Jenny33. You may have to nurse 24/7 for a few days, but you two will get the hang of it and it will pay off sooooo much in the long run!
    Me: 35   DH: 35
    Married: 5-16-2009
    Charlotte Elaine 5-27-2014
    Anna Josephine 3-29-2016
    Baby #3 EDD 3-3-2018

My Chart 
  • Options
    I've been struggling as well and my doctor told me that having her continue to try to nurse so much burns too many calories for her so that's why I had/have to supplement for the time being so she doesn't lose any more weight. Otherwise I'd still be trying to nurse her non stop as well, but it was too scary to have her lose that much and it's heartbreaking to watch her try to eat and work so hard when there's not much there.
  • Options
    Jenny33 said:

My lactation consultant would advise to skip the pump, skip the formula, just nurse and nurse and nurse and nurse some more... And trust your body. You probably are making enough to feed your LO

I tried this and we ended up in the hospital bc my Lo lost more than 10% of his birth weight. I'm struggling immensely with Bf but I just wanted to point out that this advice is not always feasible. It is possible that baby isn't getting enough despite letting him or her nurse whenever they want.
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    dm28 said:

Jenny33 said:

I tried this and we ended up in the hospital bc my Lo lost more than 10% of his birth weight. I'm struggling immensely with Bf but I just wanted to point out that this advice is not always feasible. It is possible that baby isn't getting enough despite letting him or her nurse whenever they want.
    This was me. My LO wasn't getting enough despite allowing to nurse whenever.
  • Options
    Sometimes the supply just isn't there. With my first I ended up with pre eclampsia and serve HELLP syndrome. I breastfed and supplemented till she was 9 months old then I lost my supply completely. It's hard to wrap your mind around that it's ok but it will be. Just do what works for you. I was really hoping to be able to EBF my new baby but I haven't been able to due to supply issues. So once again I'm nursing and supplementing. I know that everything will turn out fine and that I'm doing the best I can.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    It's normal for babies to lose weight after birth. They go from a water environment to air & dry out. An article came out from the AAP in the fall that c/s babies can lose up to 12% of birth weight & it's normal. My son lost 11% and we just kept feeding & was back up to birth weight by 2 weeks of age.
    Feed what works for you- I just wanted to add that losing weight is normal after birth.
  • Options
    I feel the same. I pump all the time and cannot produce enough to keep her happy. I am going to try breast feeding some more to see if that helps. I'm on the verge of having to give formula which has me in tears. I feel like a failure. Why won't my milk go up? I don't have very much extra time to go see a consultant when my baby is constantly crying. She cries a lot! Too top it off, I just accidentally spoiled a bottle of milk in the middle of the night because I am so tired. Literally crying over spilled milk. Help! I feel so sad.
  • Options
    @Tarebear17 -- I felt just like you. We all want to be great moms. I was dead set on breast feeding, so much so that I became obsessed. I was in a routine of feeding -supplenting -- pumping to the point where I wasn't sleeping. I was crying all the time, too. I wasn't taking care of myself. How can I be a good mom like that? Simply, I can't. It was a hard decision for me to make but one day it clicked -- for me, I will be a better mom by quitting because I can actually spend time with and enjoy my LO. Things have improved greatly.

I know its frustrating but you will make it through this tough time, whatever you decide!! It is not the end of the world if you have to supplement. Formula is better now than it ever has been. When your baby is 3, 5, 10, 15 years old... It won't make even the slightest difference if you breast fed, formula fed, or both. What is important is that you enjoy your LO because they are only little once! I feel like I missed the first three weeks of her life! Just stay strong and take care of yourself, most importantly. And please see a lactation consultant!!
  • Options

It's normal for babies to lose weight after birth. They go from a water environment to air & dry out. An article came out from the AAP in the fall that c/s babies can lose up to 12% of birth weight & it's normal. My son lost 11% and we just kept feeding & was back up to birth weight by 2 weeks of age.
    Feed what works for you- I just wanted to add that losing weight is normal after birth.

This.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017