2nd Trimester

Anyone else throwing their own BABY SHOWER!?!?

Yes I am throwing my own shower! A lot of people are asking why and all that I can tell them is well I really didn't have anyone to do it for me or I really just wanted to do it myself. I really do just want to do it myself. I want to be as hands on as I possibly can with baby E and that it what I am doing. I already have my invites and the colors and the theme! My best friend is getting the cake for me so thats a plus but she is under strict construction from me. I do not want to seem like a control freak which my husband thinks I am just a little, but who can I really trust to give me what I want for our baby but my husband and myself? 

I have been planing this shower since I was about 4 weeks pregnant (yes I knew I was pregnant right away because we planned her). I just want it to be done right and hope people do not look at me like I do not have friends. I have plenty. Great thing they all understand my logic!!

Re: Anyone else throwing their own BABY SHOWER!?!?

• Loading the player...
  • This is a mess. Bye
  • csy2947csy2947 member
    OP even I think you sound nutty and I rarely agree with some of the other ladies here. Either do everything yourself and call it something else or loosen up the reins. You can't dictate what people do for you/give to you nor should you. You won't do your baby any favors micromanaging every aspect of its life.
  • I'm not against throwing your own shower if the reasons are right: like your friends anticipating attending a shower for you and being excited about it but not wanting your friends or family to spend the money on it. I get that, honestly, my friends are already asking me if I'm having a shower or when it is, etc. so I'll probably hold a tea with close friends and family not a "shower" because I don't want to come across like "hey, buy me something" but I know they want to celebrate baby in a similar fashion. But doing it because you don't trust the people around you to make it 100% perfect and up to your standards is just a blatantly selfish reason? ... Not so good. I say re-evaluate the reason you're having the shower and check the attitude a bit and understand this is NOT A BRIDAL SHOWER. This is NOT for you only, it's to celebrate your baby and your friends are sacrificing their time to be with you on that day and probably spending money on a gift. Again, SO not against throwing your own little baby get together.... but not when it's based solely on misplaced entitlement. 
  • nofrogsnofrogs member
    I might be in the minority here, but I don't feel that it is rude. You are celebrating the birth of your child. I wouldn't personally do it myself, but that is because I am not much of a party planner. 
    Anniversary
  • taahirataahira member
    The first thing you should know about pregnancy, labor and babies, You can't control anything, almost nothing goes to plan all of the time.
  • I don't see anything wrong with throwing your own shower if you have good intentions (I.e. Making it a no gift party so that you can celebrate the coming of a beautiful thing) but if you have someone willing and wanting to help LET THEM! And don't control them.... Good lord, I I don't always agree when people cry "etiquette" but really... At least have some common decency and manners! I really hope this was a joke post and this isn't actually how you look at or treat people
  • aleecats said:

I don't see anything wrong with throwing your own shower if you have good intentions (I.e. Making it a no gift party so that you can celebrate the coming of a beautiful thing) but if you have someone willing and wanting to help LET THEM! And don't control them.... Good lord, I I don't always agree when people cry "etiquette" but really... At least have some common decency and manners! I really hope this was a joke post and this isn't actually how you look at or treat people

By definition, a shower is a gift-giving party. There aren't any "no-gift" showers. 
    This. It's kind of the whole point of the event. To "shower" the mother to be with gifts to care for her new baby.
  • I am throwing my own shower simply because no one offered to throw me one. I don't have many friends where I live or family. My husband's family lives close to us but no one seem to care. If I was in my hometown, I think my family would have been more than willing to throw me one. I honestly don't mind but sometimes help would be nice.
  • I have people who want to help with it, but if it's anything like my bridal shower was I'll end up doing all the work.
  • It's really hard to address this subject without sounding rude. But I will say this: I am extremely thankful that my mother taught me proper etiquette when I was young. I have a young relation that married into my family who came from a broken home. It is very obvious that her absent mother did not teach her etiquette. It probably comes off to a lot of people as self absorbed and selfish, but I really pity the fact that she doesn't know better. Hopefully OP what you get from this discussion is that you can choose the more dignified route, even if it means you don't get as many gifts. I have seen how much people with poor etiquette stick out to their friends and family, and I really just don't want that to happen to you.

=D>
  • I moved to LA and Vegas from Germany. Actually I still have no best girlfriend in the US. Not sure if I will get a shower, but I hope for it. I was thinking about asking a friend to do it, but this is kind if rude too :(