February 2015 Moms
Options

When/ How to wean from pump/breastfeeding!

Hi mommies!!

I need a little help here I believe done breastfeeding and pumping... I just want to know your experience and how did you know you were ready?! Also I really would like to find out how you stopped! Right now I pump or breastfeed Every 4 hours! Which ends up being 7 times a day. I have about 860 oz in storage that I have started to give my son which will allow like another month or so for him to have breastmilk. (Which puts me at ease) Please ladies I need some words of wisdom and advice!!!!

Thanks!

Re: When/ How to wean from pump/breastfeeding!

• Options
    mrlarprmrlarpr member
    It's kind of up to you to know when you're done. If you don't want to do it anymore that's totally fine. Just make sure you've really thought about it and are sure you want to because it's difficult to start back again. If you're sure, start dropping pumps/nursing sessions (one every week or so) until you're done. Doing it too fast could lead to painful clogs it engorgement. Decongestants and peppermint should help dry you up and cold cabbage leaves in your bra can help with pain.
  • Options
    Thanks! Yea I'm really struggling with it. At moments I think I'm ready, and then I think I can still continue. I really appreciate the advice and the no judgement! Hard to speak about this with my sisters.... Even though they haven't breastfed as long as I have. Yeah, hopefully it won't be too painful to drop pumps because I have already had plugged ducts!(no fun)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrlarprmrlarpr member
    Sunflower or soy lecithin will thin your milk without changing its composition. This helped with clogs, both clearing them up and preventing them. And no judgement. You're feeding your baby. Formula or BM, doesn't matter.
  • Options
    EK71183EK71183 member
    Clogged ducts are so painful! I'm afraid to stop because I've had clogged ducts several times. Don't think I'm quite ready to stop but I'm sure I'm gonna have some issues when I do. Let me know how it goes
  • Options
    Please tell me how you have so much saved up! This is my first week back to work, and I started adding a pumping session each day a few weeks ago. I had about 30oz saved up when I returned to work, and now I'm pumping at work. The first few days pumping at work went great, and I had enough to get her through the next day. But starting yesterday, I can barely pump anything! I managed to get 5oz total yesterday. And it's not going any better this evening at work. It's like my supply is going down because I'm not actually nursing.
  • Options
    mrlarprmrlarpr member
    @meganlee227 try power pumping one time a day for a week (preferably evening). Pump till empty, ten minutes off, ten on, ten off, ten on and done.
  • Options
    @meganlee227 I have about 860 oz saved up! But I have been pumping and nursing since he was born to up my supply. Although I'm one of those ladies who make a lot of milk... But I ate oatmeal almost daily, I did a power pump here and there and just drank tons of water! I also always went to full 20 min while pumping. Hope that helps!!!

@EK71183 I will definitely let you know! I have decided to start weaning at the end of this month! Fingers crossed!
  • Options

Thanks! I'll give that a try!