High-Risk Pregnancy

Dilated at 22 weeks?

Hi! I'm not the most active person on the board but I do read most stories for support and offer help where I can.

I had an appointment last week at 22 weeks (twin boys) and they told me I am 1 cm dilated. But they didnt seem the least bit concerned. I'd been having contractions on & off for a week whenever I had too much physical activity in the day. I've still been having irregular contractions (sometimes pretty painful.) I go to a high risk group that works with the resident l&d doctors & is not very personal so I'm sure if I call, the won't be the least bit familiar with who I am. I'm just wondering if the dilation is normal so early and if I should be more concerned with my situation than the doctors seem to be..?

Re: Dilated at 22 weeks?

• No experience with twins. How many cm/mm is your cervix measuring? You might want to talk to MFM to see if a cerclage might be appropriate. I was one cm dilated and cervix was measuring 7mm at 20week u/s. My MFM still expects me to deliver early, but the cerclage has bought me some time to allow my LO to cook a bit longer. I am 24 weeks today.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • I've been 1.5 cm for 2 weeks now (starting at 21 weeks) with twins. I guess it is common, but still very scary. I'm on progesterone gel to help and supposed to stay off my feet. Any other suggestions?
  • Loading the player...
  • Kasia7Kasia7 member
    I had a similar situation to yours. I'm having twin girls (scheduled for induction on Sunday at 34 weeks due to Baby A's severe IUGR). My cervix was 1.5cm at 19 weeks and by 26 weeks I was dilated to 3cm. I was on progesterone suppositories for all this time. At 27 weeks I was put on modified bedrest. MFM doctors don't really believe it helps but my OB kind of gave me a choice of staying in a hospital or doing the bedrest at home. I had my mom to help with my 2 year old and I lasted till now! I'm already dilated to 5cm and having contractions every day. Sometimes they're regular but they never turned into full labor yet.
    Doctors can't do much for you, they don't do cerclages with twins and the studies show that bedrest doesn't help. I think staying off my feet helped me last longer, but now my mom isn't here and I've been pretty active (as much as you can be being that big:) ) and still no labor, just more painful contractions. I was very worried, but it can be done! Rest as much as you can and drink plenty of water and obviously no sexual activity of any kind!
    I'm sure you can do it! Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No experience with twins but at 21 weeks i was about 3cm dilated and they just kept an eye on it (it was the first time they had checked it) and it stayed at 3 until 38 weeks. But i also didnt have any complications with that pregnancy. Good luck.