April 2014 Moms

Dropping the morning bottle

radiohd18radiohd18 member
edited May 2015 in April 2014 Moms
we are in the middle of weaning from the bottle. LO still gets one in the morning and the evening. I'm less concerned about dropping the *evening bottle because when she has a good dinner she barely finishes it anyway and she doesn't seem to care. But the morning bottle seems like it will be a habit to break.

Usually she wakes between 5:30-6:00 am, has the bottle and sometimes will go back to sleep for another hour. It's gonna suck to lose that.

How are you guys handling this part of the weaning? Any suggestions?

*edited for typo
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

Re: Dropping the morning bottle

• How many ounces of milk is your LO drinking a day? Mine is still taking about 20 (4 5 ounce bottles). She just started milk and is turning 1 tomorrow...... I don't know how she would handle me cutting any of these bottles!
  • radiohd18radiohd18 member
    edited May 2015
    We're not doing any bottles during the day anymore but when we were, I managed to get her down to 18 oz. I dropped what i thought was the least important bottle of the day- 3pm. Now it's tough to say but i think she's getting may 8-10oz because we're transitioning. But she's eating way more table food now including yogurt and cheese.

ETA: and I'm also trying to get her to drink water a lot too
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Loading the player...
  • kmos816kmos816 member
    To break the morning bottle we feed breakfast right away... I would do that- she'll learn she doesn't get to go back to sleep if she gets up to eat (we did that around 8 months- dropped the 5 am feeding- just got her up for the day and eventually she started sleeping until 6 or 7)
  • kkaew816 said:

To break the morning bottle we feed breakfast right away... I would do that- she'll learn she doesn't get to go back to sleep if she gets up to eat (we did that around 8 months- dropped the 5 am feeding- just got her up for the day and eventually she started sleeping until 6 or 7)

I agree
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BperkunBperkun member
    I need to start doing this too. It's just so much easier to give a bottle right away. He wakes up so grumpy it's hard to make breakfast as fast as he would like it.
  • kmos816kmos816 member

I need to start doing this too. It's just so much easier to give a bottle right away. He wakes up so grumpy it's hard to make breakfast as fast as he would like it.

Mine was the same, but after a week her grumpiness went away since she knows she doesn't get a bottle. We still feed her right away but she is not winey
  • We just dropped formula today. I'm not in a hurry to drop the bottles. He still gets four a day. Definitely over the summer I will work him off them!
  • TiffB93TiffB93 member
    I had gotten DD down to 1 bottle a day if not less and on her birthday we just stopped giving her bottles. She's been OK since. We just give her a small cup of milk before bed and it almost seems like she sleeps better now then when she was on the bottle. I just found it easier to just take it away instead of trying to slowly get rid of it.