August 2013 Moms

We need to ditch the pacifier!

For months now she's only used the pacifier at night and during naps. The catch is that she's fine without it when she goes to sleep for anyone but her dad and I, but when we try to lay her down without it, she freaks out! I've heard of people poking holes in the pacifier to break the baby from it but I'm not going to do that then lay her down to sleep with it. Any other suggestions?

Re: We need to ditch the pacifier!

• Cold Turkey??? My LO is the exact same.  Fine all day without out it but "needs" it to sleep.  Not sure what the plan will be when we decide to ditch.  Hopefully cold turkey will work and there will be no tantrums...yes, apparently I am living in a dream world.
  • @ashleyorm we've been attempting cold turkey the past few days but she freaks out and we end up giving it to her :/
  • Loading the player...
  • We would try to hide them, and my son would find them! But we also took them away except for naps and bedtime. Slowly we would take it away for the first nap.. he would fall asleep without it. For a few days he just had it at bedtime. then one night we tried not giving it to him. so we weaned and it worked for us
  • Lurking and WAY late to the party, but my SIL and nephew just mailed his pacifier off to "A baby who needs a paci" through some program she found online. I can get you the info if you want it. When he asked for it later, she just reminded him that they had sent it off to a baby who really needed it and he would calm down pretty quickly. He got over it after a few days.