March 2015 Moms
Options

How often do you feed baby during the night?

My daughter is going on 4 weeks and during the night feeds every 2-2 and a half hours, I am breastfeeding her. Her pediatrician said not to go past 3 hours without feeding baby and to feed "on cue" and now my MIL is telling me that the baby will never get a sleep pattern if i keep waking her although most times she wakes on her own and to see how long she can go sleeping through the night.. I feel that her advice is wrong and that my baby needs to eat the way the pediatrician advised. How often are your babies feeding and sleeping at night?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Has your daughter reached her birth weight again? I've always been told that you can let them sleep until they wake on their own once they're back to birth weight.

My dd is 6 weeks old and eats around 10pm, 2am and 6am pretty consistently (give or take 30min). We're primarily breastfeeding but supplementing about 4-6oz of formula/day (though not usually during night feedings).
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP, has your DD reached her birth weight? Or is still jaundice? I am EBFing and was told to wake DD to feed her until she was back at her birth weight, then to feed her on demand. She will be 6 weeks in Thursday and feeds usually around 10pm then between 3am- 4am and then again around 7am.
  • Options
    DS usually eats every 3-4 hours at night. Feed him and put him down around 11. Then he's usually awake between 2 or 3. Then again around 5 or 6. I just let him sleep and he wakes when he's hungry. He slept from 11-4 last night. Had to check to make sure he was breathing. He sure was, just in a deep sleep. He's almost 6 weeks. But the first week or 2, babies are able to wake on their own, and will wake when they're hungry.
  • Options
    KD32412KD32412 member
    At 9 weeks my LO goes down at 10pm, wakes at 3am and 6am, then is up for the day at 8am.
  • Options
    My baby is 8 weeks, I'm EBF but I supplement 4 oz of formula for night feedings. I put him to sleep around 10:00-11:00, he wakes between 3:00-5:00 and I feed him the bottle. Then he wakes again at around 7:45, I nurse him back to sleep, and he wakes for the day around 9:00. This has been consistent for the past week and a half, so I'm hoping it stays this way!
  • Options
    I agree with the other posts: as long as your LO is gaining weight and eating during the day, you can wait until she wakes up to let you know. My daughter is 6 1/2 weeks and she sometimes goes six hours (occasionally even longer) before waking up to nurse. Each child is different and you may not have one that would go that long (especially this early) but there is certainly no reason to continue waking her at night to nurse if she's not asking for it herself. That being said, there are some situations that may require you to wake her: if she's not gaining weight, or if she eats poorly during the day, or if she does not have enough wet diapers during the day (somewhere between 6-12).
  • Options
    My LO usually goes to sleep at 11ish and is now waking between 5-6 usually then will go back to sleep and get up between 8-10am. His feedings during the day are still sporadic and sometimes on the hour when he first wakes up kinda dozes off and on then takes a good mid day feed and a good nap. In the evenings he will eat every two hours till he goes to bed. I feel as tho he does awesome at night but still naps a lot during the day. Wondering if my baby is sleeping too much and not getting enough stimulation... He is 8 weeks...