Food Allergy
Options

Reaction to oatmeal?

Hi ladies....wondering about a possible allergic reaction to baby oatmeal. My son is 5mo and EBF but has reflux so I just started him on oatmeal two days ago. He also has eczema tho....our current skin regime has his eczema under control although he sometimes gets red around his mouth and eyes. Question tho, after giving him the oatmeal, he is more red around his mouth and seems to have a slight pinpoint rash on his forehead and cheeks. I can't tell if this is a reaction to the oatmeal or his eczema acting up. Anyone have a child with a reaction to oatmeal? What did it present as....and is there any kind of oatmeal I can try that might not cause a reaction? I gave him gerber organic oatmeal. TIA :)

Re: Reaction to oatmeal?

• Options
    Have you tried rice cereal instead of oatmeal to see if it does make a difference? An allergy/sensitivity to oatmeal would be really hard, because a lot of lotions/ creams for eczema include oatmeal as an ingredient!
  • Options
    Many oatmeals contain gluten so it could be a cross reaction from that.  Try rice, polenta or a specially labelled GF oatmeal
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmcc14kmcc14 member
    My older brother is allergic to oatmeal.  He usually only got a rash if it was in something topical though.  As PP suggested, I would try the rice cereal instead.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Most oatmeals contain wheat as a cross contamination. and sometimes a filler.
    I know for sure Gerber infant Oatmeal has soy and gluten because I called them after my daughter had a reaction.

So we switched to Earths Best Infant Oatmeal. No reactions.
  • Options
    This is exactly what happened to my lo. We're not giving her any other cereals till after a year on the advice of our nutritionist.